Fart Box Builds

Super cool build!! This screams for some internal lighting of some sort.

Has got to be one of the best things I’ve heard lately. It really speaks deeply to me from a DIY perspective. Love it.

5 Likes

Thanks for the complements on the case!

@lookmumnocomputer thanks for the reply!
I used a 5k on the diet knob
on/off, yup top right ( @zorch haha! )

@Willi359
Shot of the corner, it’s cool how the bolts stay in when they look like they will fall out.

With the lights on, more lights would be cool!

Used makercase.com to make the box then added the drill holes using LMNC’s drill guide in Sketch then got it to print size in Illustrator, in this process something went wrong and the vertical placement of the holes was a little short so i drilled them out a little bit by hand so I probably wont add the .svg here. I got it cut from a shop on Etsy who helped me with the overall sizing which worked out great.

7 Likes

Both Sync switches seem to be working now, crazy machine!

4 Likes

Hello again.
I started my 2nd Fartbox today. As expected i ran into problems. To fix it up and get a better understanding of what is happening where i created this annotated image based on the patreonised shematic. this might come in handy for others… :slight_smile:

@lookmumnocomputer: I hope this is OK and does not give away business intelligence.

5 Likes

Hi guys!!
I have built a fartbox but it is buggy. I have used bc547c instead of the bc107 using the same pinout
Used bc557 instead of bc558, same pinout as well
The push button is not implemented, the rest is pretty much as specified.
I have no sound, but if I touch the bc547 with the finger I listen some farts and noises. The filter and oscilators seems to be working but I would say the envelope is always looping and not that reactive to the pots

So the questions: the trannies are same pinout and compatible, right?
Does it need the big button to work?. Can I trigger it just with the IN port?
Anyone can confirm me the pinout of the big button?. It seems pin 4 is GND but the other 3 no idea

Any suggestions on debugging?. Im pretty seasoned builder, but without the schematics I dont know what to look at

Thaaaanks!!

1 Like
  • for the button configuration i’d start here and here (in this thread above)
  • fartboxes are known to be dificult to debug, hang in there!
  • i can’t tell you about the component compatibility that’s above my leage too

(edit: OH… and welcome!)

1 Like

Welcome to the forum and maybe also some info here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That was super useful… Finally I understand how to connect it… Thanks!!

I have been reviewing pinouts and bc107 is basically identical to bc547, so the bug has to be in other place…

1 Like

So, I have become patreon :smiley: Anyone can point me where the schematic is?

Fisrt time patronizing, and I dont find it!

Edit: found it and I have the circuit farting a lot!!! YEAH

I just needed the button the rest was working ok. There´s still some pots that seems to do nothing, like the resonance, but maybe I just have to understand the machine first :smiley:

2nd edit: it seems all pots work!. Im having a blast with it, is incredibly fun!! :smiley:

Is anyone selling PCB front panels or similar?

5 Likes
5 Likes

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HgQcHUGxRQ2GPdhD1BtG-mqfDwMnvA_X?usp=sharing
Anyone can feel free to run my Gerbers - just please arrange others to give them out to in the forum rather than sell them :slight_smile:
Make sure to run the power board as well :smiley:

KOSMO Braids Konversion panel is in here as well :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve got some of the FB panels on order that @d42kn355 has so graciously shared the gerbers for! Shoot me a message if interested, I’ll sell them at cost!

5 Likes

Hello Guys!

No Fart Energy,

I have finished a fartbox with panel, turned everything on, but oh look, I forgot to connect the three power pins from the jack board to C4 & C5.

After some (months) hiatus i am working on my synth again…and apparently i’ve been…not smart. :smiley:

So now I have to ask, since the fartbox board is complete: do I need to remove the two capacitors at C4 & C5 and/or the two big ones?

EDIT:
Or i could just make a Y-Cable from my AC Plug that powers everything and go straight to “AC in” on the FB board. Yep, not smart at all.

But regardless, if you can answer my question above, please do so.

3 Likes

Keep C4 & C5 In - and solder to their Legs :slight_smile:

FAQ

Can i power the fart box with my eurorack power supply?

YES

You can just skip a few components on the fart box as it has a built in power filter

No need to solder in :-

D9

D10

D11

D12

D13

D14

U8

U9

C17

C18

The above are the components you won’t need if your powering it from the Eurorack. You can still put them in, it will work either way

Solder the eurorack +12v to the positive leg of C4

Solder the eurorack -12v to the negative leg of C5

Solder GND to the negative leg of C4

That will make it powered by the eurorack power

2 Likes

Thoughts on using a BC547 instead of BC107 for the Fart Box.

Seems like it should be fine

1 Like

Hello all, first post here, I am building a Fart Box white panel edition. I’m not a pro at this stuff, in the past have build xoxbox(since sold), midibox 8 sid(since sold,wish i didn’t), a few eurorack modules-TouellSkouarn(still have)…more of a paint by numbers understanding. Liked this one so bought a while back and am finally getting to it,(all components in, on to enclosure…etc.)

Current Questions on this build i’m hopeful some kind knowledgeable folks can help with:
1: The power supply link is dead and i need some specs on the power supply (12V AC…What current output), Saw in another thread here that someone is running 2A. What was the original full spec, or one that folks have with a working Farter? I’m not planning to power from my euro.
2: I’m contemplating a clear plastic/acrylic enclosure so one can see the cool white circuit board Sam birthed. I want to add some UV “black light” LED’s to the inside of the enclosure so the board will pop. Any idea on where i could hook up a few so it doesn’t mess with the circuit. I’m not opposed to pulsation of light…rather then always on
3: I picked up the on-on switches, are there any other known oddities on the board or parts BOM?

In advance thanks for any help.

1 Like

Curious to know what power jack and power supply everyone used on this build, U.S.
Links to product would be awesome, thanks!

I can’t find exactly where I bought my power jacks from, something like this though.

3 Likes

just hard wired a walwart I had lying around .

3 Likes