Zorch's build progress

If I were doing something similarly unconventional, I think I’d try it out on the workbench and see what works and what doesn’t before going ahead with solving installation issues.

4 Likes

That would probably be the smarter solution.

loud sawing noises

6 Likes

The last letter of the type code indicates the mounting plane. Yoy have a 4EB2C1B so it was intended for horizontal, open side down mounting.
This ensures correct movement of the magnets through the laminations.
An open side down tank in an amplifier or organ is pretty well shielded because the open side is usually on the ground.

That being said, i have one for vertical mounting that is mounted horizontal open side down and it seems to sound just fine, although technically incorrect.
It did pick up a lot of noise though before i got the grounding figured out, so i’d advise on keeping the tank on as well

6 Likes

After an epic fail with 3d printing I think its time to start searching for a nice set of aluminum rails.

So far the house of bezos reveals this:

3 Likes

That’s 20 mm by 20 mm, which is pretty huge for synths. Then again so’s Kosmo, if that’s what you’re doing. But it it means needing to make sure all modules’ PCBs have 10 mm clearance from the mounting holes, and it means 20 mm clearance between mounting holes for adjacent rows.

The price isn’t bad, at about $21 for 4 pieces 400 mm long I guess it comes to 13¢/cm.

Various sites market various sorts of rails to Eurorack users. For instance Perfect Circuit has 84 HP TipTop rails for $40 a pair or 47¢/cm. Good ol’ Eurorack market.

I use Vector TS600 rails, which are only 7 mm thick. They take M2.5 slide nuts, which are not easy to find, but Pulp Logic sells them. You can probably find places that sell these rails cut to lengths like 84HP (at Eurorack prices), but I’ve bought mine as packages of four rails nominally 60" long (really more like 60.5") and cut them myself. Easy enough with a hacksaw and a vise. Shop around but Mouser sells such packages in the US for $82, which comes to about about 13¢/cm, almost identical to the price of those Amazon 2020 rails.* Of course that’s enough for 120" (300 cm or 600 HP) of modules, but especially if it’s Kosmo you’ll probably use that much before you know it. I’m halfway through my second package.

* I’ve bought them from here, where they’re currently charging $73. I had some customer service difficulties but they were resolved to my satisfaction. In fact I ended up with five rails for the price of four.

3 Likes

The 20mm size does seem more than a little problematic.

Digging around some more…

I dunno how well these would hold up at 1m a piece. I imagine it would be better than plastic though…

Those still take M5 nuts, which is definitely bigger than you want. I second the TS600 recommendation. The cheapest good way to go.

2 Likes

I got these from Gie-tec: 19"-Mounting Profile1 - Gie-Tec GmbH

Disclaimer: I haven’t installed them yet. But they are the rails used by Doepfer, so they should be fine.

They come in at €10,50/1000 mm segments (incl tax, excl shipping). Cut to any length you desire, nice and accurate.

1 Like

For the 2020 anyway, M3 (and M4) versions exist:
https://www.amazon.com/Hulless-Sliding-Fastener-Aluminum-Accessories/dp/B08NZMD2BJ

But the Misumi rails are 16 mm wide, narrower than the 2020 but still pretty large.

Added: But I just realized those T nuts have another problem:

Minimum spacing between adjacent holes is 10 mm. Most Kosmo modules, I think, are designed with mounting holes 3 mm from the edge. So you’d end up with 4 mm gaps between modules.

I would imagine shipping to the US would be significant.

1 Like

Note the illustration next to the Vector Rails section is not a Vector rail, or at least not a TS600.

3 Likes

3d printing with metal hardware is usually a better design, and doesn’t really offer many issues. In fact, the print its of should be more simple and sturdy.

I’m not sure I can handle printing yet another set from scratch right now.

Also I’m starting to wonder just how long they would last before beginning to sag in the case.

1 Like

Weight is being placed on it, I’m thinking that any design worth anything would have embedded supports.

1 Like

I have some of that rail and was looking at using it but most modules would not clear the rail . it is to wide from the slot to edge which sucked because I had a bunch of pieces I had picked up for free .

2 Likes

Thinking about it now… I supose I could include a channel that could recieve a metal rod to stiffen it up.

1 Like

No official status but in the Kosmo Specification topic it says:

I think all my module designs adhere to that clearance. It’s too bad you don’t have a whole bunch of my modules so you could use a couple of those rails to mount them. OH WAIT.

4 Likes

Would you be able to add in 2 screw holes to mount it to the case? Should stop the sag, unless you were on about the Tnut runner sagging.

(I second the idea of making a Dali style modular… think of all the sagging clocks and dividers XD)

Im worried about the sag in the middle where there are no attachment points.

I was thinking two screws pair rail, bit over kill but it should fix the sag lol

What about using some threaded rod and more screws =D

I notice that a few projects require the LM4040 voltage regulator. I was wondering if the one that @lookmumnocomputer suggests in the VCO

10.00V Precision Micropower Shunt Voltage Reference, TO-92 LM4040DIZ-10
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/926-LM4040DIZ100NOPB

is interchangeable with this one

TO-92_Inline_Wide precision voltage regulator LM4040AIZ 4.1
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/926-LM4040AIZ4.1NOPB

which is called for in @analogoutput 's Barton based wave shaper

Are all LM4040’s created equal?

1 Like