On/Off Power Module?

Hey everyone! I was looking around and found this photo someone made of an on/off power module (apologies if this is your photo - found it on Instagram!) and was wondering if anyone might be able to provide insight on how I could make one for my build I’m starting.

I’m totally new to schematics, but I’ve built some guitar pedals in the past, so I’m not totally new to soldering and some minor troubleshooting. I’m great at following directions! Any help is appreciated :rofl:

4 Likes

It’s just a switch, some LEDs with resistors, and what looks like an incandescent standby light. My guess is the standby light and the switch connect to the line going into the power supply, which I would hope is something like 12 VAC from a wall wart and not 120 VAC or 240 VAC from the wall itself. If the latter you definitely don’t want to do it unless you know what you’re doing. Then the LEDs and their resistors connect to the PSU output via the usual modular distribution board.

I’ve done something similar on my modular although in two pieces. Here’s my 12 VAC power inlet.

It’s just a rocker switch connecting a barrel jack to pair of wires running to a FC PSU. There’s no standby light. I have this mounted on the back of the case. Then on the front I have a power display module:

Schematic:

Adjust resistors for preferred LED brightness.

PCB:

Holes in the panel are for two LEDs, two mounting screws for the PCB, and access to three test points for measuring voltage on ±12 V and ground. Obviously you’d add another LED, resistor, and test point and use a different power header if you have +5 V as well. I made the panel only about 1.5 or 2.0 cm wide to fit the gap at the end of my case which houses Kosmo modules but isn’t an exact multiple of 2.5 cm.

(Full disclosure: These are revised drawings. On the original power displays, of which I have three in use and two more panel/PCB sets for future expansion, I neglected to provide a ground test point and put the -12 V LED footprint backwards. It’s a wonder I managed to design a working VCO.)

5 Likes

That’s what I was thinking but I wasn’t totally positive. Thank you for all of the info, it’s definitely appreciated!

3 Likes