What would YOU do with that? (Uses for odd components)

well you could… Geiger counter module

1 Like

I think those were more about detecting big nuclear launches and launching your own rockets in response leading to the complete destruction of our planet… maybe we could use them to detect nuclear launches and then start the final modular jam, or something xD

2 Likes

You want me to “protect memory, stop data processing, and drive power supply switches as well as signal clamps” with a device that has a 4 page data sheet? I don’t think so.

The detection threshold of the HSN-1000 is adjustable within the range of 2 x 10^5 rad(Si)/s to 2 x 10^7 rad(Si)/s

Per Wikipedia,

A dose of 100 to 200 rad delivered to the entire body in less than a day may cause acute radiation syndrome (ARS), but is usually not fatal. Doses of 200 to 1,000 rad delivered in a few hours will cause serious illness with poor outlook at the upper end of the range.

so if this thing triggers an ADSR while you’re standing next to it, make sure your will is up to date. Can I have your synth? Wait, that thing’s irradiated, never mind.

1 Like

That’s kind of a cool concept though, a module which will only ever trigger at total nuclear annihilation…

Not that I have the rackspace for it

3 Likes

Funeral march from a completely mechanical piano roll it is then!

2 Likes

I’m thinking a trigger for an 80’s chip voice countdown. “Would you like to play a game?”

3 Likes

It’s a nice hinged box with some problematic imagery. Perhaps an APC?

3 Likes

Inspired by all that gold lettering and with all that room I’d consider a large crackle box.
Or…
As a massive fan of cigar box guitar projects I’d slap one or even two necks on the box and then look at projects to turn it into either a playable synth or controller.
Or…
A luxurious drone and a single fingered ‘chanter’ to make a steam punky bag pipe.
Or …
Look these will keep coming so do let us know what you’d do.
Or …
Line the inside with contacts and rattle a ball bearing inside as a trigger box.
Or …
Add piezo pickups and make a simple Cajon drum
Or …
Add folded plastic bellows to make a wheeze Box using some air pressure sensors when you open and close the lid
… I could go on
JFDI !

4 Likes

While I’m leaning towards some APC variation (just because I think I have most of the parts) I do like the guitar pedal idea. I was looking into making an MXR phazer… Wonder if I could squeeze the real ring mod in there too.

3 Likes

If you freeform some of the easier circuits you can cram anything you like in there. Google vox onboard fx for some great examples.

2 Likes

Or …
An APC drone with a capacitive touch melody player on the lid ( to cover the older ad material )
Or … A spring reverb tank.

Or… ???

2 Likes

I’m thinking I might put a spring reverb in case #2!

2 Likes

With the photo we do not really realize the size, but there are indeed a lot of crazy things to do.

Or … an ISD1820 cheap box looper / sampler

3 Likes

here is what I do with a few of mine .

6 Likes
7 Likes

Scavenged some parts from a friends guitar amp (he was aware of this):

Nice and clicky power switches (1x SPST, 1x DPST):

Some valves:
2x E34L, 1x 5881WXT, 4x 12AX7WA (I believe the latter will fit the safety valve module)

2x 4-gang B500k potentiometers:
These are a little odd, they have a fourth pin connected to the centre of the strip.

Some coils:
The power transformer, the output transformer and a 5H choke. I’m unsure of the windings, but the schematics should be on their way to me.

If you have any ideas…

4 Likes

Maybe a tube guitar amplifier? :sweat_smile:

They look like very nice components, what amp was it from?

The 12ax7’s will definitely work with the safety valve modules.
If you are into tube stuff, you could make a very nice power supply for a tube synth. There are some very cool modules by Rene Schmitz and Eric Barbour. Also the tubes for synthesizers page on this forum has some very cool stuff.
You would have to get different tubes to build them though.

The el34’s are power tubes. If you don’t want to build an amp, you could maybe use them to regulate the power supply. They are not really suitable for small signal stuff.

I guess if you build a line stage with one or two 12ax7’s, you could build a nice mono amplifier for synth stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

*maybe don’t try this

3 Likes

Center tapped potentiometers! You could do some stereo filters or something with those…

2 Likes

It was a nice amp indeed! It was a Egnater Renegade. Unfortunately it became very unreliable, and no “tube doctor” seemed to be able to fix it. I will look into the pages you mentioned, thanks!

maybe :grin: :grin:

Yess I’ll have to look into applications for these. They seem to be too rare not to use for something special.

Thanks people!

1 Like