What would YOU do with that? (Uses for odd components)

We may all have unusual or somehow valuable components in a box somewhere that could be used in a DIY module. At least I have (a lot) and even though I can think of a possible use, you may have an even better idea: like for these BCD encoders. So tell me…

3 Likes

Some ideas :

• the number of steps for a sequencer
  • the octave switch of a VCO
7 Likes

Whoo hoo, 79 octave range!

5 Likes

Use for a seed input to a fractal sequencer or wavetable. (Do they exist or have I just invented them?)
Two for a 100 way capacitor selector.
Slap on a piezo as the push button click sounds wonderful.
Chunky bandpass filter or numerical eq.
Preset selector .
Numerical patchbay/router
Calendar (ok now im running out)

5 Likes

I have a quantizer design that stores up to 72 scales…

7 Likes

those are 0-79dB input gain selectors for analog pre-amps, I think I leave them like that.

1 Like

Capacitor selector is a good and easy one. The routing/patching idea I find very intriguing, thanks :+1:t2:

2 Likes

A clock or step divider.

2 Likes

Keep us posted. I know Sam did a piece for the gameboy using a switched router. Those BCDs would make it like something out of 1970s Dr Who.

2 Likes

TrapaNatans , you come up with some neat stuff !

2 Likes

Trapa Natans,

If I made something it would be a DIY module inspired by musicality of the HP Word Generator 8006A aka BOOGA.

-Fumu / Esopus

2 Likes

lmnc just built a vlog about these types of bcd’s

Yes me too! I had seen the video about this generator which costs a fortune and I would like to build my own! I think this sequencer is awesome and it shouldn’t be too difficult to understand how it works and build a new one based on Arduino.

1 Like

Which vlog? Those in the B&K statistical distribution analyzer look similar but are different thingies. Mine are just passive switches with 1 input and 4 (BCD coded) outputs

1 Like

yeah I thought it sounded cool to and looked on ebay there was one for several thousand dollars :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Yes, it’s amazing how expensive this kind of test equipment can be!

Here comes another one:

Looks like this is going to be transformed into an arduino monome (9x16 :thinking:) . I may even be able to use the original backplane. The momentary buttons are top notch swiss made and have a socket for either a LED or a tiny bulb.

I have more of these modules and some types seem to have flip flops inside and were used to control relay arrays.

10 Likes

These are nice, must have been really expensive…
(when they where new, I mean :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Chord player. Left column root and right variant e.g. m7th
Tracker like the big button.
Sample player.
Chimes.
MIDI control (like a launchpad)
Scale player; set the root and each column is a mode or scale in that key.
Sorry, heavily medded today so that’s all I have)

4 Likes

Ooh! You could just post some to me :wink:

4 Likes