Module requests

so I have a rough plan of which modules are coming and when, in the first week of February will see the release of the 1157 ADSR based on electric druids ENVGEN8C chip. after that there will be a dual VCA in march and also a VCA mixer in the same month. after that the synth voice is DONE. so from April onwards its up in the air, I have a number of ones i’m wanting to put out but I guess Im wondering what people would want sooner?

4 Likes

A great one to do would be something similar to your midi to gate converter for your drums. I’m sure I’m not the only one who would enjoy one of those! :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

indeed! that will be coming with a few of ones based around drums! that may be one of the early ones! its looking like ill be putting out a fair few this year! maybe even 2 a month so maybe sooner rather than later! luckily got all of these designs in a jumble in books so just need to draw them up and boom!!! but cool!

5 Likes

There’s that reverb/delay chip, the PT2399 - they’re crazy cheap and turn up in all sorts of commercial products (Danelectro guitar pedals and the Korg Monotron Delay off the top of my head). I’ve wanted to experiment with them for ages but never get the time - I figured that my Patreon backing makes you my experimenting and inventing proxy :grinning: so maybe you could look at doing something daft with multiples of them?

5 Likes

funnily enough that is in the works. a circuit that has 5 of the chips! overkill… you decide haha. with the project it will include a simple single pt2399 delay circuit strip board too.

4 Likes

That ain’t overkill - that’s the same as what I wanted to use!

I would like to see your take on a Stomp Box Adapter -
Allowing FX to be routed through the modular.
Reduces the signal to line level so you can send to FX then back into it and amplify the signal back up and out to the modular again…

Send/Return unit i guess it would be called?

3 Likes

Oh yes ! A way to interface with a lot of instruments, microphones, piezo … a Stompbox or a Preamp / Env Follower ?

5 Likes

I would enjoy some simple drum modules, a kick, snare, hihat, for the start! (If anyone has links to other diy project, send them please ;-), I found the hexinverter sets, but they are still somewhat expansive and complex)

4 Likes

I have seen some projects attempting to re-create the 808. Personally all that biz doesnt interest me, I would rather just some new sounding modules that dont have to sound like another existing thing. What im getting at is some kinda analogue drum circuits would be fun to explore.

3 Likes

They’re so cheap I have nine of them just lying around because I bought ten for a project where I needed just one.

1 Like

I just built one from the schematic at AI Synthesis. Works great!

2 Likes

Did you happen to make a stripboard layout for it? :smiley: I would truly love you if you did… haha

I got this “stripboard” that is laid out like a breadboard, so it won’t transfer directly, but I’ll see if I can snap a pic to display my horrible layout skills :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I happen to have some of those handy!! :smiley:

@sebastian is this what you found?

It’s <$5 in parts and +v only. You can use the same “ghetto VCA” he talks about on a white noise source for a snare. The cymbal is really cool.

2 Likes

Not sure how much you’ll be able to make out, but here it is from a few angles.

4 Likes

friggin sweet! Thank ya :slight_smile: I should be able to figure it out haha

I was reading an article the other day about high quality audio compression that uses DPCM. He ( Marcus Geelnard) presents a method he refers as “DDPCM” (Dynamic Differential Pulse-Code Modulation). Boasts CD quality audio with 8 bits / sample, and CD-ish quality at 4bits / sample. The decoder looks pretty simple, and uses a quantization function that maps the deltas with a fixed lookup table. He arrived at this lookup table after analyzing the histograms of frequencies of different types of music. The result is an optimal quantization table that has 128 values that reference the most “important” sampling frequencies. The 4 bit version is a tad different, but still.

So i was thinking. How neat would it be to encode some samples into some EEPROMS using this technique? You could use an arduino to do the EEPROM programming, and have the beginning of a sampler.

https://www.bitsnbites.eu/hiqh-quality-dpcm-attempts/

Most of this is just my own theory-crafting, I have some inkling of what would be necessary to go all the way with this idea, but I know there are some gaps on the electronics gubbins part.

I am guessing you would basically have the audio sample be stored on the EEPROM, and need to use a clock to iterate a counter. That counter would then run through the samples of the encoded audio at the speed of the clock, with a byte offset. You might be able to do granular synthesis with this too by changing the order of the sequence and using a sample + hold.

1 Like

A release of some DMG style modules - like the DMG Triple OSC :stuck_out_tongue:
Maybe a DMG Single OSC as well!

Something that incorporates a Speak and Spell, Read, or Math - even if only stripboard and or breadboard. <3 your fully broken out S & S stole my heart long ago. and I truly desire to build something similar!

1 Like