Geiger counter module

Hi all,

You might have seen this little creation on one of the Facebook groups already, but I figured I’d post it here too.

This module is based on a cheap Geiger counter which can be found all over the web. Every time an ionising particle is detected, the module generates a decaying pulse of variable length. This means you can use it as a random event generator, or you could play if with anyting radioactive, like a… banana?

Below is the circuit which I have piggy-backed on the Geiger counter. It cleans-up and inverts the pulses, and adds the decaying envelope. Also, it powers the counter through a 5v regulator.

High-res images and documentation of the Geiger counter can be found here: GitHub - TimMJN/Geiger-Counter-Module: Geiger counter module for analog synthesizers

Hope you enjoy!

5 Likes

Somewhat related: @nervous_squirrel’s Ore-some Xylophone.

(and yes, it’s Sam and his bike in the video thumbnail)

3 Likes

Yes!! Thanks for linking it. NS also has a Geiger counter synth module, which I believe is featured in one of his videos with Sam!

3 Likes

Ah, right, forgot about that one. It’s the “January 2017” entry here: Homemade modular synth / synthesiser / synthesizer

(and yes, it’s Sam in the comments for that video :grinning:)

4 Likes

I think I mentioned here previously that after making this module I heard that David Cockerell and Peter Zinovieff had done the same thing in 1965, using a geiger counter and wristwatch with glowing numbers, to create randomness for compositional purposes…

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing the schematic!

2 Likes

Found it! Here’s Mr. Z talking about it:

5 Likes