Thomas Henry BD++

We were talking about this one in this thread:

I built mine and after a few hiccups I got it working. Here’s a demo (the “panel” is obviously temporary):

The strip board labeling wasnt very clear to me and I also wanted the power header and filtering on the board so I redrew it:

[NOTE: I replaced the original from 4/11/20 with the corrected 6/19/20 layout, see below for more --fredrik]

13 Likes

This thing is rad! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And here it is with it’s panel and hanging out with the family:

6 Likes

The transparent panel in the middle must be from the time before LMNC’s dark period. What is it?

3 Likes

That’s just the AD/AR

2 Likes

For the film capacitors used here, should I go for 5% or is 10% good enough?

1 Like

Looks like @ChristianBloch used 5% (the “J” on the top of those box caps) but 10% is probably good enough if that’s what you have at hand.

2 Likes

Yeah, I just used what I had. It’s not a super clean and precise circuit in the first place.

2 Likes

I still have to do my order, and 5% is double the price, so I was wonedering.
But in the end, there are only a few caps, so it does not make a big difference, price wise…

3 Likes

The layout this is based on has popped up in several topics but I haven’t seen credit or a link to its originator, unauthorized-service:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3096643#p3096643
or to this page which has the schematic and much information:
https://www.birthofasynth.com/Thomas_Henry/Pages/Bass_Plus.html
The original was ±15V but apparently doesn’t need modification for ±12V? unauthorized-service did change one resistor, R26 from 100k to 1M, because he liked the balance better that way.

3 Likes

I changed that resistor right back in mine. But I like bass. And big knobs.

3 Likes

Coming along with my attempt at the bd++. Going to add some mods (thanks for the tip @popflier)

7 Likes

Oh, damn! Make sure you add the wave shaper mod and reserve one for me :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah I want to add the waveshaper and another suggested you popfly. I think the panel will have to get a little bigger tho, especially if I want to keep it reversible

2 Likes

Rah, very interested in this - keep us posted!

2 Likes

What he said. I’d forgotten you were doing this, I started redrawing the schematic in KiCad, but if this will be available I’m stopping right now.

2 Likes

What are these mods, you got a pointer to them? Also, not to try to launch a political discussion or anything, but given that it’s Juneteenth, would you consider relabeling it “Main volume”?

(Or just leave it out. Who puts volume controls on the outputs of non output modules?)

2 Likes

Yeah, I added Shape after the fact and the placement is, uhm, suboptimal :joy:

4 Likes

Nice work, Looks I’m going to end up with a full size case just with drum modules.

5 Likes

The original post is too old to edit, but here’s the layout with Volume, Tone, and Decay fixed:

6 Likes