A litany of dumbassery

Depends on what you’re building, I guess. As an example, here’s the “rat nest” for (most of) the Bass++ that’s discussed over in this thread; i.e. the schematics sorted by component footprint, with the traces shown as straight lines:

This is a relatively simple module, but having the computer keep track of that mess as you’re laying out the board is definitely helpful :smiley:

But on the other hand there are several stripboard layouts for this module, which are mostly laid out by hand directly from the schematics iiuc, so it’s not like you cannot deal with things like this manually.

So my advice is to pick an approach and run with it, fine-tune it as you gain experience using it, and never forget that your #1 audience is yourself.

(Also, this thread is for people poking fun at our own silliness, and shouldn’t be read as “this is too hard, I better stay away from this.” Just be a tiny bit more careful than we are, and laugh at your own mistakes when they happen, and you’ll be fine :grinning:).

6 Likes