Thomas Henry BD++

I’ll pull them up for ya, just a second. From a thread on electro-music.

I will remove “master.” The second idea is more tempting because the wave shape pot could go there

I’ll probably do a run of 10 of them. Files will be posted as well

2 Likes

Used my special powers to fix this.

4 Likes

Charge your phone!

Link: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-40457.html

2 Likes

It would be good to make all the labels single line.

2 Likes

Too crowded? Planned on smallish knobs, 20mm. Getting tight but don’t really want to go bigger than 10cm if I don’t have too. Here’s a rough idea of a 20cm knob visualized:

-removed volume pot
-changed names to fit in one line
-waveshape mod in place of volume
-“pitch bump mod”
-“pip mod”

Note this is just roughish placement and stuff will be tweaked and some details added. I don’t know if I like the boxes around the labels. But I don’t like it so much without them…

There is also a simple vactrol mod to add a cv for the decay pot. It’s hard to choose. There would be room for another jack, and I do like the idea of VCdecay. Plenty of room on circuit pcb. Never made a vactrol before although I do have the stuff for them.

Let me know what you guys think I really appreciate your suggestions

5 Likes

I’d vote for no boxes.

Is that long enough?

3 Likes

No box

4 Likes

@analogoutput the mods Cory is talking about are listed on the electro-music thread. There are .mp3’s of them. I personally like the WaveShaper and the Pitch Bump mods. I didn’t think the PIP Mod really did much.
Here’s an updated schematic with the WaveShaper mod that someone had posted a while back. (I realize this says 9v on it. Ignore that. This is just basically to show you where the WaveShaper mod fits into the schematic. The guy who posted it converted the Bass++ into a freestanding unit.)

This is the schematic for the Pitch Bump and PIP Mods.

@CTorp if you need the space and wanted to replace the PIP mod with the vactrol one I wouldn’t complain :wink:

7 Likes

Also to save some space: why not move the sensitivity to a tiny trim pot? I understand that it only needs to be tweaked to your trigger level once.
Awesome work!!

2 Likes

@popflier I like the pip, it’s rowdy lol. For the cv on the decay it would just be one more jack, pretty doable. There might be a better way than vactrol?

@sebastian it would be the first thing to go but I’m hesitant. I haven’t built one yet so I don’t really know how useful it is. Seems it’s typically included though? Would love to put it on a trimmer if it’s not very usable. Maybe even figure out how to do the panel accessible trimmer

I’m going to build Christians strip board tomorrow while keeping the mods in mind.
I need to figure out which way the wires of the pots need to go so I don’t get the backwards action on my pcb. Gets confusing after flipping and going to daughter boards

3 Likes

I think I got them all right in the latest version.

1 Like

So might just be me, but isn’t the pot placement a bit arbitrary? The BD++ has four main sections. Using the input/control labels in the original schematics, they are:

Trigger shaping: (TRIGGER) → SENSITIVITY, DECAY
Shell: PITCH, SWEEP plus (CV) → RANGE to control the PITCH
Impact: IMPACT TONE
Mixer: SHELL VOLUME, IMPACT VOLUME and the output level control.

Color-coding by category:

I guess you could see the mixer input levels as source output levels instead, but not sure that helps that much.

(as for mods, I prefer them to be optional so you can build stuff as the original designer imagined things, but I guess that might be a bit tricky when they involve front-panel stuff…)

4 Likes

There could be (or you could make) an OG version of the front panel, if the PCB is set up to allow the mods to be optional.

Assuming there are no new pots to be added, I don’t see how getting rid of one or even two meaningfully frees up any space. If you removed three then you could make the three vertical columns of pots into two with more space between them. But one or two doesn’t give you much rearranging freedom.

Sensitivity might be something you’d want to adjust for different trigger sources. I think it should be on the front panel in some form. Like this would be more convenient than a screw trimmer and take up less space than a knob — though, again, it wouldn’t make much difference:

Might want to follow @fredrik’s advice:

I have a feeling if you did that you might change your mind about going wider, say to 75 mm 150 mm.

2 Likes

This is complicated slightly by the fact that, even with no external CV, Range affects Frequency (which I would call Pitch, BTW). Also, Impact and Tone are the same color to me.

2 Likes

For comparison here’s Timo Rozendal’s Eurorack panel:

Width is 8 hp or 40 mm, with ~13 mm knobs and 1/8" jacks. Spacing looks very tight to me, especially vertically. He apparently did make the sensitivity a (non front panel accessible) trimmer, and of course there are no mods here.

The icon labels don’t work well IMHO.

2 Likes

@fredrik Being honest I ripped off the pot placement from somebodies eurorack module =]

2 Likes

You can get a little more space between knobs by moving the left and right columns out a bit. Don’t do what Sam did with the 2399 and put them so far from the center the knobs are right at the edge; take a look at one of his videos where there are two 2399s adjacent to each other with their side knobs almost touching and you’ll see what I mean. But if the knob centers are at 1/6, 1/2, and 5/6 of the panel width that would work. You’re close but I think you could open them out a bit:
And having done that I notice your holes are a little asymmetrical. The left ones are a little further from the edge than the right ones are.

Also: Can the pip labels be something other than capacitor values? Not sure there even need to be labels, maybe just three dots to indicate there are three switch posistions.

3 Likes

Definitely could move them around a bit yet. Wrestling with the overall size I’m tempted to go to 150mm and get bigger knobs and more space. I know a lot of people prefer the 100mm panels, especially for a module that is a dedicated bass drum, however important it may be.

I want to keep the mods simply cause I know I’m going to do them anyway. Doing an optional mod would be nice, but complicates things quickly.

“Pip” and “bump” and the associated values—was also wondering about this. They aren’t very descriptive labels of what they do. The pip is like a change to wave distortion or wave fold from what understand. “Pitch bump” is better but longer and probably unnecessary to add

1 Like