Can I leave this empty column on my stripboard layout?

I am building my first module from a stripboard layout (not a LMNC module.) I just realized as I was working on it that I accidentally mis-counted and have an entire column open where there shouldn’t be. If you look at the photo, everything to the left of that row is laid out correctly. It just needs to be shifted over one column.

Two things to note:

1. I have not finished adding in some of the wires on the top of the board so I know there are some missing.
  2. I have not used a drillbit yet to break any of the traces on the back.

Before I desoldering everything to the left of the empty column I wanted to know if there was any way that I could avoid removing the components? If I could just leave the column there that would be great.

1 Like

Yes, please just leave it there. It doesn’t matter.

5 Likes

Also, I was thinking of building that BD next after hearing it in @Dud‘s recordings.

2 Likes

For those following along at home, here’s the info for the design:

https://www.birthofasynth.com/Thomas_Henry/Pages/Bass_Plus.html

7 Likes

I have another BD that I really wanted to build. I think it sounds way better than this one. I have the eagle files and the schematic, but I don’t know how to translate that to a stripboard layout. I also have the eagle files and schematic for some really nice sounding hi hats, but again…I can’t figure out how to translate it to a stripboard layout. It’s super frustrating!

Thanks, btw, for answering my question. I’m asking before I do things to avoid the IC socket mess I was in before :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What are the schematics? Where are they from? Possibly someone else has already done a stripboard or PCB for them.

2 Likes

Oh, you’re ever so welcome.

1 Like

It’s officially in progress:

2 Likes

They came from a guy named Joe Beuckm. All of his designs are on his github account. He has replicated all of the 808 voices but I really like his snare, BD, Hi Hats, and Clave. I think his hi hats sound especially good. However, again…all of his stuff is in eagle files. I think you could send these files to have PCB’s printed, no?

There is a video of a run through of all of the voices here:

3 Likes

copycat! :wink:

Great, let me ask you a question about this since you’re building it. It looks like on the video that he bridges all the solder joints that are next to one another? Is that the case or are all the joints completely separate? That wasn’t clear to me.

2 Likes

He may be bridging along the strips, but never across. Not necessary, though.

1 Like

Found him on github: https://github.com/jbeuckm
Would be cool to convert his eagle files to kicad, but that takes some effort, I think!

2 Likes

You can import eagle files into kiCad. Just do File > import Project > Eagle CAD

Now if you do that and decide you want to make PCB’s then PLEASE let me know. I’m definitely interested in making some of his modules.

3 Likes

Yes, but there are so many files in the repositories… and I am not sure if you can get the schematic together with the board? With the through-hole braids I only managed to get the board and not the schematics… Oh, I need to continue working on that one!

2 Likes

I think this thread’s well and truly hijacked? Imma start a new one. Joe Beuckman modules

6 Likes