My build progress

Hello everyone,
I’ve finally started building my first Kosmo case. I made it a bit shorter (60x40) than Sam recommended because I’m just starting out and it will probably take me ages to fill it with modules. Instead of building the modules so deep into the case and closing the case with a plate, I built the whole case first and then sawed it into 2 parts so that the lid leaves enough room keep the patch cables plugged in. Because the case is so compact, it seems to be easiest to use when it is flat but slightly tilted. With two screw-in nuts and two 120 mm screws with plastic heads, it sits firmly on the table. And the screws can easily be removed for transport. The look is of course completely intentional and has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of woodworking and painting skills :wink:

The first module is already finished. Unfortunately, it’s just a power supply unit and doesn’t make any sound. But its little brother, which I built for the workbench, already powers a VCO (Moritz Klein’s) on the breadboard. As I read today, the 5V that I added are probably superfluous because they are not used at all in Kosmo modules and hardly ever in Euro Rack modules. But now they are in and certainly don’t interfere. The next steps are to put the VCO on a board and build a panel for it, then I think an output module would be a good idea.

There are so many things to build and so much to learn and so little time. Fortunately, even (or especially) building and learning is fun :slight_smile:

10 Likes

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

8 Likes

Hi all, now I’m building a circuit of the Soviet drum module and I can not understand why it does not work 2 potentiometers, I created a separate thread (USSR Drum module issue), someone help me understand, please!!!

Finally getting back to the rack and with a vengeance this time.

5 new modules all stuffed into my new case:

• Kassutronics wavefolder
  • Kassutronics transistor ladder filter
  • Moritz Klein white/blue/pink noise
  • dual 555 ADSR
  • Frequency Central Klang Stadt (Electric Druid VCDO, after my stripboard one failed the analog/digital isolation test)

Next I’ve gotta make some more mults and mixers, as well as a new power supply because the 3340s are getting very drift-y.

Maybe one day I’ll get around to making some labels and getting some proper knobs…

6 Likes

It’s partially this communities fault that I got into this hobby, so it’s time to share my humble beginnings with you :grin:

I started with Moritz Klein’s power supply and VCO tutorials and then built a 60x40 rack. I thought about painting it, but I like the combination of dark blue acrylic panel and white wood, so I keep it natural for now.
I have a Meanwell power supply waiting for me to order a proper power connector with switch and building enough courage to work with mains voltage. For now I use my AC wall plug based power supply.
My current project is a MIDI-to-CV converter that’s already somewhat usable but lacks precision.See this post for details.

Thanks for being such a cool community and inspiring me to start this fascinating hobby!

13 Likes

I’m diggin that case man, it’s modest and strictly business :+1:t2:

3 Likes

currently building the next phase of portakosmo for a show i have in ramsgate next week!!!

this is a massive one nearly used up a whole roll of solder lol. the matrix mixer with VCA’s on each input.

17 Likes

Long time lurker here, huge appreciator of this forum so breaking my introversion to share my build progress.

Two x 84hp euro cases. 3d printed and designed myself.

Modules on stripboard with schems from Hagiwo, Analogue Output, LMNC, Eddy Bergman layouts and so many more. Also have a couple diy modules by MiaW and Knopsl. Huge thanks to you all to be honest.

18 Likes

Wow! What an achievement! Well done.
Can we hear it?
Tell me more about the case please.
Keep going!

2 Likes

I designed it in tinkercad :rofl:
Its 150mm deep. Holds gietec threaded strips
Printed in clear and black petg. Wired some lights in it. Been at it for 3ish years in my free time with a hiatus this last year. Back at it again atm.

Thanks for the compliment.
Wheres best to upload sound demos?

3 Likes

I use SoundCloud. No particular reason. It’s free and sound only.

3 Likes

doood, thats badass :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3:

1 Like

It’s summer and you know what that means. It’s not freezing in the garage workshop. So that means it’s time to expand the synth cases again.

The woodworking is imprecise and the finish is positively slapdash, but good enough.

It goes under a previous case:

Needs a power distribution board (on the way from JLCPCB) connected to the existing supply (via some Wago connectors I just bought) and a back (Home Depot trip coming up). And needs modules, I’m going to be completely rearranging the modules. And building new ones later in the year.

18 Likes

“imprecise, slapdash?”
This is a safe space; so you want to play jazz huh?

4 Likes

I planned on using a laser to cut a wooden panel to close the gap at the bottom of my racks and mount a WOPR in each of them. But I ended up designing a PCB for it. The WOPRs are flanked on either side by Apollo, God of Music.

There is a rough video showing the WOPRs here:

8 Likes

What is a WOPR? tiny

WOPR is that not the super computer in War Games?

1 Like

Whatever they are they look rad!

1 Like

It could be WOw Pretty Red lights!!

2 Likes

Indeed. WOPR is a computer system in the movie “War Games”. WOPR stands for “War Operation Plan Response”. The WOPR in the movie is a super computer that simulates all kinds of war scenario’s and looks for the best approach to wage war. Obviously in the movie it goes rogue and tries to launch missiles. But luckily there is a hero, so things will eventually be resolved.

5 Likes