WAV Trigger for a newbie?

Hey Everyone!

I’ve completed about 10ish LMNC Kosmo modules with little complications, though I’m still fairly new to a lot of this. Is the wav trigger build pretty easy for someone new? I’m dying to get some drum sounds on my synth!

Is this the one I want? - SparkFun WIG-13660 Audio IC Development Tools WAV Trigger | eBay

Can i connect this to my 12v power supply, or do I need a separate adapter for the barrel jack on the board?

3 Likes

Over on the Robertsonics website (the guy who created it in the first place) there’s an online user guide:

That suggests you should be able to run it from 12V going into the barrel jack - you could just get one of those screw terminal plugs to feed it from your existing rig.

It’s been a while since I’ve looked at the WAV Triggers (and I’ve never actually bought one, because the cost of getting them into the UK made me shudder). The more expensive Tsunami has multiple outputs IIRC and MIDI circuitry is built in, but its triggers are limited to 3.3V. The one you’ve linked doesn’t have the MIDI circuitry (although you can build the optoisolator circuit and hook that up) and has a stereo output, but I think it can take 5V triggers as well. I imagine whatever you do will protect the inputs anyway.

Hope that helps!

3 Likes

Thank you for the reply!

I was unaware of the Robertsonics website - checking it out now!

2 Likes

Here is my post on the matter, you can see what i did in this. Ill update with more pics of the wires for more assist. I have a breakout board that takes the 12v eurorack power and distributes it to the front jacks and the wav trigger. No problem on the 12v. The dangling wires are for flashing with an arduino, which you do not need hooked up all the time.

3 Likes

You’re the first person I always think of when I think of the wav trigger! I’ve seen the YouTube video you did of the banks - so awesome!

2 Likes

I only had a little bit of time during a lunch break, or i would have detailed the images better, but by all means ask questions about the setup. It is sufficiently janky, but it works just fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use a 12v power adaptor for the wav trigger. I’ve done the same as you for a mellotron. 20 banks of samples played from the wav trigger using an Arduino as the controller and a simple 4 octave keyboard controller as input.

5 Likes