My build progress

I believe the technical term is “a fuckton of soldering”

17 Likes

Oh, and

4 Likes

Even better! Expensive, but such good looking.

9 Likes

POSCA markers are worth their high price if you have a good use for them. They dispense acrylic paint, not ink, making them suitable for many uses where ink won’t stick. I like to use them on 3D prints. One example:

(not exactly my cleanest painted 3D model, as the features are very small, but I wanted to post something synth-related)

12 Likes

Poscas are great! I use them to fill in the etched features in my laser etched face plates. They are very opaque and easy to clean off which alcohol if you make a mistake.

14 Likes

Yep.
(I had only 15 cm wide plates, that would have fit in 10 cm easily…)

9 Likes

well they are coming together . you like the crazy paint job , it started raining right after I sprayed them .

12 Likes

Pretty rad actually.

4 Likes

Love the effect =) (20 char limit bs lol)

2 Likes

Me too, good luck trying to replicate it though

3 Likes

What material are these face plates made of?

1 Like

The control panel is matte black acrylic and the back panel with just the text and ports is smoke/grey mirror acrylic.

1 Like

just have to actually check the weather before painting outside :wink:

1 Like

Or go to a golf course where they use sprinklers to water the green :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, that’s exactly what I thought it was, but looking at it closer now I see it’s the module tester. I built both last year and they do look similar.

1 Like

finely got the Ethernet case connectors done .
these should cut down on a lot of long cables between cases as each Ethernet cable will carry 8 patch points .
I will put the big panel in my controller case and the others in the different cases in my system .

10 Likes

So I remembered using a laser to create the resist layer for PCB etching was a thing and that I have a laser. So I am giving this a try for the XR-VCO. Should have my ferric chloride tomorrow. I am pretty optimistic this will work really well. Too bad Thomas Henry’s PCB layout is kind of ridiculously big and won’t fit properly in Eurorack. Maybe it’s time for a Kosmo case…

Light alcohol cleaning seems necessary.

10 Likes

I wonder whether a shiny surface could damage the laser head in some way because I noticed when trying to cut some thin aluminum foil (which did not work) that the air assist nozel got really hot, which normally does not happen. I gather this was caused by excessive reflections. Any opinions?

CO2 lasers can’t cut metals, only organic materials. For that you need a fiber laser. For this I am just etching away a layer of paint, so I am not worried about reflections. You can etch anodized aluminum, but all that’s doing is breaking down the anodization.

yeah got it working today .

9 Likes