My build progress

Built this a while back, finally finished it off (still needs re testing now that I’ve installed the 100nf caps)
PT2399 Delay.

10 Likes

Yes, I use such markers too sometimes, since I paint anyways with acrylic, it fits nicely :slight_smile: But I recommend a good base coat and a top coat to protect it.

So nice to see all the progress people make! I had very little time the last weeks to build anything new…

3 Likes

Fixed up a project I butchered up for parts because it didn’t work properly

5532 LFO (https://images.app.goo.gl/2T27KgBGgMkB6sEz9)

Meant to use a 1k but only had 5k, which gives a full signal with wiper at full or min, bit annoying but it’s atleast working now =)

2 Likes

Isn’t that what it’s supposed to do? Full amplitude triangle at one end and square at the other, mix in between? On a quick look at the layout I don’t see any reason a 5k would behave significantly different than a 1k.

4 Likes

Oh no I mean it goes full signal on either end of the wiper. No wave, unless I’m not seeing it though the rate is all the way down lol I only tested it with an led to see what was going on.

I’ll give it a test in the case tomorrow =) might shoot a quick vid to show it, it’s not that big of a deal to me.

1 Like

?? By “full signal” you mean DC? But based on an LED not flashing?

I think this thing’s square wave output should be from about 0.6 to 8.4 V (assuming 9 V power). It doesn’t go to 0 but 0.6 V should be low enough to turn the LED off. That’s assuming the NE5532 output swing from the spec sheet (±13 V for ±15 V power) scales to 0–9 V power.

The pot is just a mixer between the tri and square outputs, shouldn’t affect the oscillation whether 1k or 5k.

4 Likes

New case with freshly bought PSU PCB.
(And the originally smoke generator transformer)
And pears.

10 Likes

1u modules mounted. Triple attenuator and LFO.

I’m sure I’ll fix the gunky faceplates, eventually =D

10 Likes

Little update from my side. I’ve built 2 attenuator panels, A PT2399 delay, almost done with Moritz Klein’s diode ladder filter. I’ve designed a faceplate that matches the component layout on the PCB (ask if you’re interested in getting the SVG).

Also, I have prototypes for the distortion module by Niklas Ronnberg and I plan on building a module that is a noise-source, sample & hold and slew limiter. Got various parts for that prototyped as well and I have the panel.

I’m planning on using colored LED’s next to the noise outputs to indicate the color of the noise (white, red, pink, blue). Looking forward to finishing this one.

Also, for the dutchies here who like to laser cut, I’ve found that laserlokaal.nl is considerably cheaper than snijlab.nl and the text engravings also seem sharper, so I’ll order there from now on.

8 Likes

Another Sidekick VCO, using the revised PCB. Appears to work although I have neither tested thoroughly nor calibrated carefully because my Module Tester has gone glitchy for some reason. But I’m fairly sure the board (unlike those of the Hero) is now pretty much error free.

7 Likes

Finally after months I have finished a new module! My XR VCO! Now I just need to tune it in. My first time making a PCB, it gets me really excited about what I can do from here!

It’s got so much blank space because I was thinking I might want to make it a dual VCO at some point. I have a couple more of the XR chips, it could make a fairly good base for a small synth in the future.

14 Likes

didn’t want to buy one because they seemed big and overly priced for what they are so I finally built a solder stand . what a difference this is much easier than dragging the spool on the bench top , wish I had made one sooner .

12 Likes

a while ago I did the same thing bigger for my paper towel roll in the kitchen

4 Likes

I’ve seen these things, but it always seems mighty inconvenient to me to have this long thread of solder across the desk. I simply but the smaller spools, straighten out the last bit and hold it in my hand entirely.

2 Likes

That’s how I’m currently working, but every session I tend to pull a little too hard on the solder, which drags the spool along the desk until it tips over my helping hands, ricocheting components all over the place, and while I try and catch a few things, I forget I have a hot iron in my hands, and burn myself, which makes me yelp, upsetting the cat who then scratches my legs. I jump up in fright, tipping over my entire work bench sending sparks flying and finally the garage catches on fire…

Well, maybe it’s not quite so dramatic, but I think I might try a solder spool thing and try and have better desk discipline…

3 Likes

No I keep the entire spool in my hands. I use these 100g spools, they last me long enough. Though I’m curious about the price differences, this one costs me 8 euros.

3 Likes

454 g Kester 63/37 is $38, so pretty close.

I just set mine on the workbench on end and unwind some slack from the top as needed, no pulling and no garage on fire. When tinning short lengths of wire I like to stick the wire into the solder spool hole to hold it.

1 Like

I 3d printed some little spools ages ago for wire but it works great for solder, it’s a bit of a pain spooling up a new roll when empty. But I do like the convenience =D

1 Like

Some weeks ago I finished a new module, Kresselle. It was a first for me on two levels. First I used a metal panel (a lot more pleasant I must say) and second the circuit was something I worked out myself based on @moritzklein diode ladder filter and @AdamskiA wave folder.
Resonant Folding

link to schematic
https://tinyurl.com/2henovo9 4

I made a new quick video to show some of the behaviours of the resonance.

16 Likes

Sounds great!
Gonna have to take a closer look what you did once I start experimenting with filters.

3 Likes