My build progress

Yes it’s strange, several of us have relatively the same problem, there’s now a thread for it

5 Likes

Last night I finished a 6-channel mixer which was the last module needed to fill out my first case. Overall, this has been such a fun project so far, and one that only seems to expand in scope the further down the rabbit hole I go. I’ve been spending so much time building this synth that I need to actually learn how to use it. :sweat_smile:

18 Likes

Nice looking setup you have.

3 Likes

Great build! We have an almost identical setup - what’s the thing in the bottom right corner?

4 Likes

Thank you! It’s been interesting to see how my “style” has developed over time.

Thanks! It’s good to know that my synth has evolved along a similar path to someone else’s. :sweat_smile:

That’s the Barton 4 Knob Dual Decaying Noise module:

It produces some nice percussive noise. Evidently I have a thing for harsh, gritty sounds.

4 Likes

yeah I have had that problem to .

4 Likes

At least I’m not the only one! My goal for this week to is actually mess around with patches and the Beatstep/Keystep now that I don’t have anywhere to put any new modules even if I made them (for now…).

3 Likes

I don’t have any space for new modules either so I today I…

… cut and drilled wood and rails for space for new modules. Hey, it was relatively warm for once, warm enough to work in the garage.

10 Likes

There is some progress on the polysynth. Wiring it up takes more time than I expected. Also second ADSR is still missing, I haven’t even started building it. But it already makes some nice noises!

13 Likes

Hi everyone.
Those last weeks I was working on a DIY sampler, something like a SP404 … but more simple.
6 arcade buttons to trig the samples and some knobs to play with FXs, speed, …
There’s also a SD card reader to store the patches.
It is a based a Electrosmith Daisy seed microcontroller and it’s super easy to work with it (if you know how to code in C++ …)

9 Likes

two analog output moded MFOS LFO’s .

16 Likes

The safety valve took a long while, but finally it is finished and working. The distortion is somewhat weak, maybe it depends on the type of valve, I am using a cheap RSD 12AX7. But it looks quite cool :smiley:

12 Likes

Nice DIY build! Did you make any changes to the circuit? If you read the other thread about it here, there was a little hack to increase the distortion by bypassing one of the resistors which worked for me and others.

1 Like

I followed Sam’s original build, I only replaced the 27R with a 3W version. Which resistor did you bypass?

1 Like

I just put a jumper right across the 27R, which made it go from basically not working to working nicely for me. Something about this circuit, probably the inconsistencies in tube builds, seems like it’s a lot more sensitive to small changes than the solid-state ones.

4 Likes

ah ok, by bridging the 27R you give the tube a higher heating current, to increase the emission of electrons. Yes, this sounds good… Thanks!

3 Likes

Depend a lot of the signal in (not very good on a single wave form) and also very different if you use it before or after a VCF for example (for me after VCF = more distortion :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

For testing I connected it directly to the output of a vco, so theres not much signal in. I will test it this evening with a full setup of modules, and I will try to bypass the heating resistor.

2 Likes

Slowly filling up the double height case I made.

17 Likes

The lazer cut panels and case are awesome!

In my news, I just dropped way too much money at JLCPCB. DIY, they said, it’ll be cheaper, they said… Fingers crossed…

5 Likes