My build progress

the shaper ? have not had a chance to plug in yet .

Another dual VCA

Well the sound is rotten with my camera (unwanted white noise :slight_smile: as usual) but here’s a patch with this new VCA and also i make a test with 3 VCOs to make a minor chord, a first, it’s cool.
This chord inspired me a little hip hop at the beginning and I doubled the chord for skanks and an ending rather dub (…dub dub dub …with delaly :slight_smile: )

9 Likes

luv the didgeridoo sound .

3 Likes

Man… it’s time. This is an intervention. You gotta put down the soldering iron and lay down a track. I want to hear what you can do with all of those bits working in harmony!!!

What kind of music do you like? Are you a French house guy, German Dub Techno, or UK Dubstep? I’d love to hear a 140 dub stepper made on that thing!

4 Likes

Here’s a playlist:

(via @Dud’s many posts in the music share thread)

7 Likes

Thank you @fredrik , yes with my modular there is this playlist which starts without an external controller and which evolves with the cases which are added. But I didn’t know anything about modular 3 years ago.

I was doing a little electro with a friend ( Lobotomix : http://lobotomix.blogg.org/ and there were also videos in this forum ) but no knowledge of the style. Since then I have been interested and analyzing patch …
Guitarist at the base, I really like a lot of different music, punk, blues, metal, reggea, dub, traditional … but I don’t really listen to electro.

2 Likes

I had an idea for a module and I prototyped it in VCV Rack. It’s a gravity-simulating portamento/glide, so the glide will overshoot the target and then oscillate around the target note until it stabilizes, like an asteroid orbiting a planet.

The effect is actually pretty cool, but I need to fine tune the knobs, it’s way too sensitive.

I was hoping to make this available as an module-app for my “Kosmoduino” project, but that project is on hold for now as I’ve had too many KiCad-induced rage quits.

7 Likes

This sounds really really nice ! Have I ever asked you about the schematic for the VCA? I also need some that close properly and that are not built with unusual ICs.

2 Likes

Click through to youtube and click the link there and you end up at

which tells me it’s Niklas Rönnberg’s version of the ASM-1 VCA that uses the obsolete CA3080, so you could probably use half an LM13700, or get the Rochester version (I think Thonk has it), or the Alfa AS3080.

EDIT 1: LM13700 is perhaps not a great option here, since the circuit manipulates the 3080 supply voltage. You’d have to tweak the Iabc source a bit. EDIT 3: See here.

EDIT 2: Earlier thread about this VCA: Simple but good dual vca, which also discusses 3080 sources.

4 Likes

I took the day off, so while everyone’s out of the house I scuttled down to my secret underground laboratory to work on my VCF:

Cheers,

3 Likes

Here’s the VCA I made:

5 Likes

Cool, is this an original design?

I’d like to try the Mauritz Klein version, but I guess I need to shell out for the Patreon because I haven’t found the diagram yet.

1 Like

Not yet!

The filter core is similar to this one that you posted:

I looked at the matched pair transistors they use on the x0x box and am using some of them for the exp conv for the cutoff and the current sink - might see if I can use them for the diodes in the filter stages too. That way it may be possible to have a diode ladder and a transistor ladder on the same PCB?

http://timstinchcombe.co.uk/synth/Moog_ladder_tf.pdf is a good resource too.

Once I manage to get a voltage controlled resonance circuit going I’ve got some ideas to try out - feedback some of the original input to counter any bass loss, and see if I can do some analog maths and derive a HP from it.

4 Likes

Today : Quantizer day :slight_smile:

Pic and video here

3 Likes

like usual that sounds great !

1 Like

It’s on my to do list too! I beleive Moritz shared the final schematic of the diode VCF in the latest video, look in the description.

The schematic

and a stripboard layout

soon i think a version with Hi or Band pass add :slight_smile:

EDIT :

2 Likes

Finally managed to finish my take on the tuner vco. There’s a few little differences, the ref voltage can be sent to other units in a chain (untested)

It’s only 75 wide to save space.

The front had the locating peg for the rotary switch

Not turned out too bad

2 Likes

And the safety, not sure it’s doing what it’s supposed to but all the controls do something.

4 Likes

Resonance on the VCF looks like it kinda works:

Need to work on the Fc and RES CV ranges/response.
It does self oscillate - but it’s very quiet - need to see what I can do about that.
Then - need to see if I can mix in some of the original signal to try and beat that volume loss when cranking on the resonance.

Cheers

4 Likes