Module requests

Yeah, OLEDs are as easy to work with as character lcd screens now, only with more space and capabilities etc.

Stuff all this complicated gimmickry. I was hoping to have a simple LFO to split out to more than one source. Getting divides of the pulse in multiple outs was cool. Getting maybe the LFO in a digital source that can skip through in a Euclidean way would be nice. Make a few presets and put them on some mini switches and menus arenā€™t necessary. Guide the function with a few 3mm LEDs and OLEDs arenā€™t necessary. I thought around 10cm width but mostly to make those outputs breathe.

-Fumu / Esopus

1 Like

Sounds to me like you just want a multiple + LFO.

2 Likes

This is with triangle rather than pulse signals, but it was one of the most popular eurorack modules of the year. I made a Rack version thatā€™s one of my most popular modules. Basically the idea is that since most other modules have CV parameter modulationā€¦ well, then Modulate All The Things^tm. Itā€™s very useful for ambient soundscapes and generative music. Iā€™d love a Kosmo Ochd.

1 Like

ive been wondering about the circuit for that.
(ochd that is)

1 Like

Caustic,

My want is explained above: I saw the Novation Peak had a global LFO. Iā€™ve been trying to plan my Kosmo on what I see in hardware synthesizers and the only thing missing from the VCLFO was some simple LFO with multiple outputs, like a global LFO. Though a trick, two or three like divided tempos by 1/2 and 1/4 or skipped phases like a Euclidean sequencer wouldnā€™t be refused. I mean slim as it hasnā€™t become bloated with featurejam beyond its purpose of keeping multiple inputs on the same LFO. Not too gimmicky or complicated of a multiple clock/LFO/sequencer was my initial dream.

-Fumu / Esopus

Iā€™ve been trying to figure this out too. It looks like there are 8 (or 4?) SMDs ICs on the board, but I canā€™t see what they are. I think they are Wien bridge oscillator - Wikipedia based oscillators.

1 Like

Wien bridge oscillators produce sine waves, not triangle waves, and are a bit tricky to control by voltage since you need to change multiple component values at the same time (and you also need to do some trickery to get them to oscillate in the first place).

Triangle waves are easy to make; just set things up so you charge and discharge a capacitor with a constant current, and the voltage across the capacitor will be a perfect triangle wave (or you can cheat and charge and discharge with a constant voltage across through a resistor; that wonā€™t give you perfect triangles, but may be good enough). The trickery here appears to be how this thing is controlled (the description doesnā€™t really explain much).

(if you want a bunch of fixed sine wave oscillators, see here)

1 Like

so a bit of an update today on facebook I stumbled upon Tim Nijssenā€™s project which looks like a cool clock distributor! its a pcbs project give him a message if you Are interested! https://www.facebook.com/groups/549267875688193/user/1421697171/

4 Likes

hmm

search up Tims name on Facebook you can add him and message him there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Or you can probably ping him here, right @TimMJN :wink:

2 Likes

Good work @TimMJN!
Itā€™s not a module I need now, but Iā€™ve bookmarked it for when I do.

3 Likes

Thanks for the shoutout Sam! I can be contacted right here, no worries. PCBs are up in the buy-sell threat: The BST Thread (Buy, Sell, Trade) - #133 by TimMJN

They are going kinda quickly, but I will do another run!

3 Likes

I think it looks awesome. I feel kind of dumb I canā€™t figure out how Iā€™d use it.

-Fumu / Esopus

Apart from being a normal clock divider, the rotate function allows you to generate complex ā€œpolyrhythmsā€. I put that in quotes, since itā€™s not polyrhythms in the classical synth sense, ie multiple rhythmic voices with different sequence lengths. Rather, the rhythm becomes a series of N pulses at X clock rate, followed by M pulses at Y clock rate etc. Depending on how you trigger the rotation, the sequence might not repeat for a very long time. Iā€™ve found an excellent example here:

Also, it tracks accurately up to a few kHz, so you could even use it to make pulse wave chords.

4 Likes

I want to bump awareness of something I vaguely put out there earlier. Iā€™m excited maybe someday Iā€™ll release modules. Until I do I wanted to put the awareness out there of other quad LFO sources like 4ms Quad Pingable LFO and Xaoc Batumi. It would be nice having a utility not too fancy multiple LFO and external sync. I see global LFOā€™s on non modular synths like Novation Peak but modular people seem to not consider they added more VCOā€™s than they could ever need but they ran out of LFOā€™s. I might be interested in collaboration on a multiple. It does look like an LFO and a multiple but when you consider having different LFOā€™s with a tap tempo itā€™s a bit greater.

-Fumu / Esopus

1 Like

thanks kardashev, synced up LFOā€™s??? its quite funny as I was planning a 6 lfo set but un synced, I have never really found a need for synced LFOā€™s found the need for out of sync ones phasing? the VCLFOā€™s have sync, maybe a duel version with less knobs could be cool, it can be synced and not synced, there is also that clock source out in the wind! by Tim

5 Likes

Sam,

Iā€™ve heard that some of the multiple LFOā€™s have phasing options which I would think is loads of fun! You could have for example each LFO one 90 degree ahead on the cycle. Yes dual LFOā€™s is all I think is not in the picture maybe quad is a lot.

-Fumu / Esopus

I started working on a quad/oct LFO (basically a DivKid Ochd in Kosmo format), which doesnā€™t have sync but does have a master control knob with CV input and an attenuator. I think with real sync and division itā€™ll be a lot harder or will require lots of Electric Druid chips.

1 Like