Kosmo at SynthCube?

From the SynthCube site:

What do you think? Should SynthCube sell LMNC modules?

5 Likes

Would certainly be cool to have a US source :slight_smile:

5 Likes

+1 to that. would be nice to not have to wait over a month for an order to arrive. that said, Iā€™m just happy I can get new Kosmo modules so whatever is easiest for Sam works for me.

4 Likes

Adding another marketing site would definitely complicate things for Sam, by how much and whether itā€™d be worth the complication are questions only he could answer.

6 Likes

Right. It adds several layers of complications (fiscal being the most tedious to arrange). Thereā€™s also the fact that it might not arrive any sooner (at least for new modules) as he might send a shipment to them the same day he puts them up on the store (which is usually when I order) and I donā€™t think the post goes any faster to businesses. Would certainly be handy for those times when you realize youā€™re an oscillator short or something.

4 Likes

Another thing to consider is other Kosmo modules that are not Samā€™s. Would be cool for people here to have a place to sell their creations.

4 Likes

Excellent point. I donā€™t love reverb.

3 Likes

At scale the time isnā€™t now. For a maker to have a module on another site there would be the logistics of supplying the site. First there would need to be a full kit together or at least pcb with the rare parts in kit and then optional addons of panels and knobs and rigidity hardware. Next Iā€™m sure there would be some things Iā€™m not aware of that would have to be checked with Sam so none of his property is taken without permission. Additionally Iā€™d expect Modular Grid to have modules and the format ready to add to case. It will take a lot of effort on the makers and Sam to get scaled up to the point it goes there. Iā€™d be happy when it did knowing where it was at the early days.

-Fumu / Esopus

4 Likes

There are plenty of board-and-panel sets at SynthCube. Sometimes boards and panels available separately, sometimes not. Sometimes kits from source vendors; sometimes SynthCube produces kits on top of boards and panels from source vendors. As for Modular Grid, thatā€™s an entirely separate site.

3 Likes

Richard,

I was saying the factors of a format to reach that scale of it being in sites. There are factors of Eurorack that make it defacto everywhere. Thereā€™s things that I expect Kosmo to go through in the scaling upā€¦ which Eurorack is at so thatā€™s why itā€™s on Modular Grid and thereā€™s some implications that makers pay for their modules to be there while everyone in Kosmo isnā€™t putting enough money in for it to happen, another factor of scale.

-Fumu / Esopus

2 Likes

Comparison to Eurorack isnā€™t apt. Eurorack is so dominant, people sometimes use ā€œEurorackā€ to mean ā€œmodularā€. modulargrid.net lists 9838 Eurorack modules, vs. 1022 MU, 372 MOTM, 365 Frac, 334 Serge, 249 Buchla, and 101 Modcan A. Of course the number of Kosmo modules is much smaller than any of those, but letā€™s not compare to Eurorack when it isnā€™t fair to compare anything else to Eurorack either.

And if we take SynthCube seriously, they say ā€œevery module, any format, all the timeā€. Not ā€œany format thatā€™s crossed some thresholdā€. Someday sailing past Modcan A on modulargrid.net certainly is a goal to contemplate, but thatā€™s not what my question was asking.

4 Likes

I dont see why an argument against is necessary to be honest

If there are a even handful of us that buy the kits from Samā€™s site and get along fine, then they could be available anywhere in the exact same capacity.

There isnt some magical line of authenticity that needs to be crossed to access public marketplaces, or if there is its decided by the marketplace not the consumer

The marketplace states ā€˜any format, any sizeā€™ which puts it plainly that itā€™s pretty much an open door.

I dont get the point of arguing the format isnt ready for sale, when it is currently on sale and doing well.

3 Likes

this is something I have been thinking about Christian, I suggested something like Etsy. id be hap[py to make a page linking to all of the Kosmo builder shop sites on a page. I guess just need to find a cartel site for each, to be honest even things like big cartel is suffice for people looking to sell these. then I put the links and logos or pics of them onto a shared page on the kosmo site for instancE?

5 Likes

Tindie.com is a good choice for electronic stuff, it is specially designed for that.
167 hits for Eurorack.

5 Likes

It would be cool to have something like a showcase page on your site specifically for other Kosmo ā€œmanufacturersā€. So far people have been doing five or ten at a time and more or less selling at cost, but thereā€™s no reason it needs to stay that way. Itā€™s early days, but we have to start somewhere and new small batches are quick to produce.

5 Likes

I buy plenty of MFOS modules off SynthCube and they have no predefined physical format whatsoever. I donā€™t see how Kosmo would be a problem, and frankly itā€™d be nice not to have to pay separate shipping and deal with the super long wait times.

4 Likes