Module requests

Just thought a nice EQ module would be great. Maybe with like 6 Bands or more? some nice sliders and a few options for shapes. I think the Kosmo format size might be a great way to get a nice EQ in there. Something like this:

3 Likes

You can find a schematic and PCB layout for that one here:

https://www.elby-designs.com/webtek/cgs/serge/cgs202/cgs202.htm

The description from the Serge 1982 catalog is interesting:

The RESONANT EQUALIZER (EQ) is a unique ten-band filter designed specifically for electronic sound synthesis and processing. Except for the top and bottom frequency bands, all other bands are spaced at an interval of a major seventh. This non-standard spacing avoids the very common effect of an accentuated resonance in one key, as will be the effect from graphic equalizers with octave or third-octave spacing between bands. Spacing by octaves will reinforce a regular overtone structure for one musical key, thereby producing regularly spaced formants accenting a particular tonality. The Resonant Equalizerā€™s band spacing are much more interesting, producing formant peaks and valleys that are similar to those in acoustic instument sounds.

There are three equalized outputs, two which mix the alternate filter bands, and one which is a mix of all filter bands. The upper (up arrow COMB) lets pass the outputs of frequency bands at 61 Hz, 218 Hz, 777 Hz, 2.8 kHz, and 11 kHz. The lower (down arrow COMB) mixes the other bands (29 Hz, 115 Hz, 411 Hz, 1.5 kHz, 5.2 kHz). This equalizer is different from other equalizers in that the bands can be set to be resonant. When the knobs are in the middle position, the response at the main EQ Output is flat. When the knobs are positioned between the 9 and 3 oā€™clock position, up to 12 db of boost or cut is set at the band. If the knob is set beyond the 3 oā€™clock position, the band will become resonant, simulating the natural resonance of acoustic instrument formant structures. Below the 9 oā€™clock position, increased band rejection is achieved.

For comparison the superficially similar Moog 914 Fixed Filter Bank module, for which there are several modern imitations around (AJHSynth, Behringer, and YuSynth have different versions), has 12 resonant bandpass filters and a high and low pass filter, at half octave intervals, and

in a graphic equaliser the bands all feature boost and cut of frequencies, and if all of the sliders are set to centre position then a flat frequency response is expected and the output will sound very similar, or identical to the input ā€“ this does not happen with a fixed filter bank, the frequency response rises and falls as it passes between each stage, so it acts as a soft slope comb filter, and the resulting output sounds very different from the input signal. Also, with all of the individual filters turned to zero there will be no output at all as the individual filters are taken out of the circuit.

So itā€™s not really an equalizer, but a sort of formant creator.

4 Likes

Kosmo format could use a utility module that has multiple outputs (8+?) and pulses, clocks as well as slowly oscillates. Examples of these are Pamelaā€™s New Workout, Octocontroller, or anything that works similar to a clock divider but has a clock and multiple outputs.

-Fumu / Esopus

3 Likes

hey up! Iā€™m working on a super simple one atm just 6 utility oscillators for triggering things nothing fancy but making it in conjunction with the keyboard sequencer. but yeah maybe someone is working on a more elaborate one who knows! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I was thinking maybe someone will come up with a PNW or Octo for Kosmo. I only thought that having a module that is simultaneously a slim simple LFO/pulse but also has eight or more outputs and can do a few neat tricks!

-Fumu / Esopus

2 Likes

yeah definitely! the one Iā€™m doing is a utility pulsing machine mainly to clock the keyboard sequencer module Iā€™m sorting out. but yeah!!! it would be cool if kosmo got to the point alm for instance thought of making a Pamelaā€™s workout in kosmo format but who knows!

8 Likes

Iā€™ve done some doodling of a clock module with builtin divider, some funky and over-elaborate featuresā€¦ who knows what itā€™ll end up being if it ends up being anything, but itā€™s not high on the priorities right now.

6 Likes

Hells yeah! I would love to see that.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never bothered finding out what PNW does because it has such a stupid name :laughing:

2 Likes

An open source Eurorack clocky-thing :

2 Likes

Ugh, menus.

Iā€™m sure itā€™s very versatile but 90% of what Iā€™d want a clock/divider for should not require menu diving. Maybe 100%. Thereā€™s only four parameters per channel, you could do a push button or rotary switch to select channel and four encoders to control parameters. More hardware and more front panel space but no menus and you could forego the OLED maybe.

The concept I was thinking about doesnā€™t use a microcontroller. Wouldnā€™t do everything this does but might do some things this doesnā€™t. I dunno, I just have some aversion to needing a microcontroller just to go honk, honk, honk, honk.

4 Likes

Do people need eight or more clock signals simultaneously? Seems to me as though youā€™d need a lot of synth to use that many and if you have that much synth you wouldnā€™t worry about slimness. But explain it to me if Iā€™m being dense.

Or is it just that you want to choose among eight or more possibilities? In which case you donā€™t need that many outputs, just a way to route those possibilities to fewer outputs?

1 Like

Right now I donā€™t know eitherā€¦ but Iā€™m just startingā€¦
But a microcontroller for clock is something I DO understand. Quartz precision :slight_smile:
Menus are a pain. Most of the time at least.
An OLED display can be a space saverā€¦ for stuff you donā€™t adjust often, or else itā€™s too smallā€¦

1 Like

Richard,

This is my premise: no mumma. Keep it as slim as it can be given it is expected to be reliable to reach many parts of the synth and sometimes has split timing like a clock divider. I was expecting a master LFO that could keep many parts of the synth in time and did some neat tricks however it didnā€™t turn into a mumma. So what I meant was keep the features low. The idea comes from the Novation Peak having a global LFO but it does less than the original LFO. Keeping time means it can be less frivolous but useful.

-Fumu / Esopus

1 Like

I was thinking that with extra outputs they could put the routings out in 1/2 or 1/4 dividends and you wouldnā€™t need menus! Like if you had 6 or 12 outputs it would be for 2 or 4 copied sources that were turned to 1/2 or 1/4 dividend of the original clock.

-Fumu / Esopus

1 Like

Hmm, thereā€™s something to that ā€” though I would think you could get that without the microcontroller. Though not so easily.

2 Likes

I would second the no menu diving , it is the most non-intuitive thing musically and just a pain in the ass . and about the size well this is kosmo make it big enough for buttons / knobs to control micro controller and still have multiple outputs . if we were that worried about size this would be a euro rack forum :wink: . just my stupid two cents you make what works for you of course .

4 Likes

Iā€™m not opposed to menus, but at the same time I saw an OLED involved and thought ā€œwell, there is a project Iā€™ll probably never DIYā€.

2 Likes

Clocks are trivial, with or without a microcontroller. What matters is what features you really need from a clock. Thats what makes it less trivial.

The microcontroller gives you a bit better options for things like if you care about setting specific BPM since you can do a BPM to PPQ conversion and shit like that.

A clock can also be as simple as a 555 multivibrator circuit.
If you need outputs of a multivibrator that are subdivisions of your main clock, you can do that with ripple counters and such. You wouldnt need a high bit depth, so you could also just do the ripple counter as 4 JK flip flops.

3 Likes

Nah, OLEDs are easy and useful when thereā€™s a microcontroller you need info from.

3 Likes