Module requests

We haven’t seen a module overtly odd shaped like when vinyl records or compact discs are cut into odd shapes. I have a mix compact disc shaped like a pic of a Technics.

-Fumu / Esopus

Are you going to do a noise module?

2 Likes

yes. its basically a noise module and a bandpass filter in a module. just to replace what I use the ms10 for in noisey crescendo’s itll also have a plain noise out both on VCA’s so in essence it can also be used as 2 separate drums (bandpass and clean )

6 Likes

Request: Wall clock that also outputs clock signal at 60bpm all day.
Optional: Switch to double the output clock speed.

3 Likes
  1. PROFIT

8 Likes

Hi guys.
Does anyone know a circuit that could convert audio to gate ?
For exemple I would like to trig an EG from a kick drum mic.
My first guess would be to build a crappy preamp to get a square from audio and then use a noise gate.
Thanks

1 Like

You’re looking for an “envelope follower”

2 Likes

An envelope follower into a comparator would be one way to do it.

1 Like

This Envelope Follower will do the job (with pre amp for mic)

hello @Janvier alternative you could look at the kick drum mic more as a transient (the first stabby part of the kick sound) as a trigger. this might simplify the process for you.

a transient of a kick drum is small enough to act as a trigger in its own right if it is loud enough.

the quickest and least soldery approach to this is taping a contact mic on the drum skin close to where the kick pedal hits, and literally wire this into an envelope generator. it might take a tiny bit of fiddling to get the best spot but it will have enough punch to trigger the envelope generator on its own.

its at least worth a try as just requires you to wire a contact mic to a jack cable .

another thing with this approach is the harder you hit the more prolonged the transient is and if you have the envelope generator setup as an AR (if you have an adsr that doesnt have an AR switch you can make this from an adsr if you just turn the D to zero and the sustain to max) this means more velocity the longer the envelope not much but to give a variance.

I’ve done this numerous times with a number of envelope generators, purely down to speed, sometimes you have an idea and just need to think of the quickest way to do it haha.

7 Likes

Thanks Dud I will try it today

lovely ! I will definitely try this option as well.
By the way guys do you know a circuit that act like a pitch follower ? It would be fun to pitch a VCO from a bass guitar. I think the ms-20 can do something close to that.

An MS20 can’t, but this Envelope Follower can do this with this instru/line input signal.

I think Janvier was referring to the MS-20 external signal processor, see e.g.

http://www.marcushamblett.co.uk/external-signal-processing-on-the-korg-ms-20-mini/2014/02/20/

I looked up the schematics and they’re relatively straightforward, no weird components or so, except for the 4-gang reverse audio taper potentiometers :grinning:

1 Like

Woah, can you share that? I’ve never seen a pitch follower work that well before, I had no idea the MS-20 could do that.

EDIT: Apparently the preferred Eurorack equivalent is this: Analogue Systems RS-35 - Eurorack Module on ModularGrid

which has v/oct and slew as well.

EDIT EDIT: Apparently they’re hard to find because Aphex Twin has one. Gah! As a guitarist, this is a module I’d love to have.

1 Like

Haven’t seen the schematics for either of those, but if I wanted to do something like this I imagine a phase locked loop would be at the core of it. The Barton 4046 Wave Shaper uses a PLL along with a binary counter to create signals at octaves above and below the input. It’s intended for use with a synth oscillator signal and doesn’t put out a pitch CV, but it might give some ideas.

Edit: Found this, not a 4046 circuit: http://www.synthdiy.com/files/2008/pv1_611.pdf

3 Likes

This is a module that I have been working to find a schematic for for the past couple of months. There’s several Eurorack modules designed for this. Befaco makes one:

https://www.befaco.org/i4-instrument-interface/

Schematic:

I’m planning to build this Befaco schematic in a 1U configuration for my Eurorack case.

3 Likes

What’s the functionality of that that you need? I have a phantom powered condenser that I’d like to use with my rig, but my audio interface can power it so I can just use that in the meantime.

Awesome ! Yes that’s exactly what I was referring to. I would love to see this working with a vocal mic.

@BlackDeath basically all of it. My Scarlett has phantom power too but I may not always want to go through that first in the chain in order to get it to my modular. So I’ve been looking for a module that has phantom power, can adjust line levels to modular levels, and produce the gate/trigger outputs for further audio manipulation with my modular.