Modular grid thoughts?

I’m announcing the new Komso format which is 19.5 cm high and multiples of π cm wide. Power is ±14 V.

5 Likes

A pitfall there is if e.g. someone lists “board and panel” and someone else “PCB and panel” and someone else “panel and PCB”, do they end up as three separate categories?

1 Like

Nah, power HAS to be assymetric.

2 Likes

They will unfortunately. For the meantime, I’ll be doing some data cleaning in the pull requests to make sure a consistent format is used. If this does grow legs, I’ll implement some kind of GUI/form for generating module entries.

When I’m drawing up the contribution guidelines, I’ll add some suggested values for the various categories

1 Like

Maybe someone could write a Python script that steps through all possible parameters and spits out a file to paste into the JSON document.
For example:

Enter module type(1/2/3)
1 PCB/panel
2 Panel
3 Stripboard

Enter module width(1/2/3)
1 2.5cm
2 5cm
3 7.5cm

Enter designer name:

Enter image URL:

And so on and so on. I think that would make things a lot more accessible.

I could try and hack something together but don’t have much time at the moment. Basic Python is the furthest my programming goes lol.

Also, one question. In the JSON document, what’s the really long hash next to each module for?

Cheers

edit: just saw your reply as I was typing this. A gui would be even better.

2 Likes

The UUID (the long hash) is an id for the module (and the maker). These can be generated manually using a website such as Online UUID Generator Tool or in the case of the suggested GUI, these will be generated under the hood.

The id is useful for a number of reasons - first of all, it allows me to add a unique key to each item in the list which stops Reactjs complaining and is used by React for filtering etc.

Secondly, I see myself implementing a details page for modules and this id would form part of the url e.g. kosmodulargrid.com/module/ca6ceece-719a-42f7-b971-283713f582be

Finally, it allows linking between the module and the maker without a maker having to add their details to each and every module they add.

Ideally, all of this would be handled by a backend server connected to a database but that’s a level of complexity and cost I’m not willing to commit to just yet. Maybe if this all takes off and kosmodulargrid becomes a thriving hub of activity, I’ll revisit.

4 Likes

@jackb Really nice work, this could be a really useful asset to the community, and good timing, with Kosmo gaining traction but early enough before there are too many scattered developers.

3 Likes

I have added one of my modules, see this as a test whether someone who has never used JSON is able to do it. Cheers!

3 Likes

Nice one! Thank you. Looks good other than a small typo in the module definition. I’ve added a comment on the line in question.

3 Likes

And we’re live with the LMNC modules on the site. I think I got the widths right but I had to guess a few.

3 Likes

Incredible work to have complete this so quickly, a real feat! I hope we can have this website pinned on the forum and @lookmumnocomputer’s website, it’s the overview we’re kinda missing now.

I have added the rest of my modules. I do think I’ve broken the layout a bit with an especially tall photo. One question, I have entered some “maker” info, but where is this displayed? Would be nice to be able to add some contact info.

Cheers!!

Thank you! Delighted with how it’s coming together. I’ll sort out the layout quirks, I definitely haven’t worked out all the edge cases yet.

Maker home page is something I have on my to-do list - I’ll probably add a module JSON generator first and then the maker page.

3 Likes

Great!!

PS, I just noticed that filtering by Maker doesn’t seem to work, thought you’d like to know :wink:

1 Like

I noticed that, already on it!

1 Like

Do you want distinct types for boards and panels that can be bought versus boards and panels for which Gerbers are available?

3 Likes

I’d vote for yes, takes a bit more knowledge and time to work with those

3 Likes

really coming along nicely!!! ill post about it and ill pin this now! awesome work ;D. looking forward to seeing it filled!

3 Likes

Any chance of getting the module power draw included on there?

Maybe “Gerbers” or “For sale” in the function field?

@JonGreen I can add an optional field for power draw

1 Like