Modular grid thoughts?

I like the idea!

I am not too familiar with discourse, but I know it supports plug-in development. Maybe it would be possible to integrate this within the forum?

4 Likes

Oh brilliant, I’ll take a look in to that - if it’s fairly straightforward, that might be a runner. I see this project as something that develops over time to suit the needs of the community so even if it starts out as a separate website, I might move it over to a discourse plugin eventually.

1 Like

I think the solution is for more of us to make wildly awesome and popular Kosmo models until MG has no choice but to list us. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is a great idea! Markdown all the way as I for one am hopeless at programming (what’s JSON?)

JSON (Java Script Object Notation) - not as complicated as it sounds - is a way of describing data. For example a module might be described like:

{
  "name": "MS20 Filter",
  "hp": 8,
  "maker": "Look Mum No Computer",
  "description": "MS20 style filter inspired by the René Schmitz design",
  "link": "https://store.lookmumnocomputer.com/collections/modules/products/1113-kosmo-2-0-performance-filter",
  "image": "https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0253/6040/0430/products/1113_-_Pic1_300x300.jpg?v=1617289125",
  "type": ["pcb+panel"],
  "function": ["filter"]
}

This could then be used by the website to display a nice list of modules with links, images and filters - not unlike modular grid. The advantage of JSON over other formats is you can have arrays of values for modules that may have more than one function.

1 Like

Maybe yaml? It’s kind of between Json and markdown :wink:

1 Like

All of these formats are best handled and generated by code via object serialization than a person. So really just use whatever you want to support in the backend. I have a preference with Jason since it’s very comparable across languages, but it’s not like using something else would be a big hurdle.

The site should have form inputs that map to a data model.

You can then manage things like required fields etc and update the db in the back end. Not sure if this can be done with simple GitHub hosting though. Never actually used it, I don’t deploy stuff there!

I imagine their hosting to be a simple serving of html, js, and css. So anything backendy might require remote db solutions.

1 Like

JSON it is then, for now - updates will be managed via pull requests, again for now. If it looks like it might be worthwhile doing something more sophisticated then I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

4 Likes

Yeah, no need to over engineer this. As long as it lint’s, it can sits.

A very rough v0.1.0 of Kosmodular Grid is here: https://www.kosmodulargrid.com

Using mock data for now but it should demonstrate the idea. I have a todo list the length of my arm for stuff that still needs to be done and I’ll probably create a brand new thread detailing how anyone can add modules and future plans.

Next job for me is to add the LMNC modules. Anyone who wants to see the code or take a look at the data format can look at the github: GitHub - boylejack/kosmodulargrid

Data is in the public/data directory

9 Likes

Widths should be in cm, not “HP”.

5 Likes

You can add “stripboard layout” between “PCB+Panel” and “schematics”, there are a tons of them.
And there are also some “Panel only” for converting MFOS/BMC/etc
 PCBs to Kosmo.

3 Likes

I added a PR fixing a typo in the page header. It says Komsodular in the tab name.

2 Likes

I’m going to domain squat that and create a modular parody site :joy:

3 Likes

The filter values are driven by the data so as soon as some modules are added that are stripboard only, the filters should update to suit.

2 Likes

amazing!!! I really like the new module styles. if only all synth modules were just faces of kittens haha. this is Stella work! awesome.

4 Likes

Thanks! Excited to get everyone’s cool modules up on the site now.

2 Likes

yes! do you need photos of the Kosmo Modules? front on?

3 Likes

That would be amazing!!! Yes please!

1 Like

I’ll also be adding my modules once you release a guide how to. Looking forward!

1 Like