Mail Day Thread

power for the cases ! but whats with the angry cucumber / pickle ? …

2 Likes

it’s a gift from my niece (10 years old), who knows I like Rick & Morty and she made me this wonderful little Pickle Rick !

5 Likes

art from someone close , thats great !

3 Likes

13 Likes

Very nice! What are you going to use them for?

I love those television tubes. They are very good quality and i bought boxes of them for less than one audio tube :slight_smile:

The Pi Hut are just down the road in the nearest town to the village I live in, and we like to support local. Looked like I was running out of hook up wire, so ordered 10m each of various colours which should last a while. Took the opportunity to buy some new wire strippers and snips while I was at it.

8 Likes

+1 for the Pi Hut. Their customer support has always been excellent. Once they sent me a defective board - I contacted them, they promptly sent a new one and gave me a £5 goodwill voucher.
Now if only certain other companies were that good coughAmazoncough…

2 Likes

It’s nearly a year since I designed this module

“Thruman Show”

1 in 5 out midi thru module.

Finally got round to pushing it to print.

Not sure why I specified purple for the FP as it should be red!

Have had to order some longer brass standoffs as my normal 10mm are not going to allow space for the din sockets

6 Likes

7 Likes

Always surprising to see that so many people are interested in tubes. So am I. I’ve built 2 valve casters, and they sound nice. These tubes I inherited from an uncle who used to be a tv repair man. Some have heavily coroded pins and a few I suspect are not holding a vacuum anymore. I’ve been looking at “usegi electric’s” youtube channel to learn a bit more about the applicability of tubes for low voltage uses and it seems that there are quite a few that work reasonably well with only 25 Volt DC anode voltage. So that is encouraging. As you can see from the picture this set is quite a mix of tubes. Unfortunately there are no 12AX7s among the tubes I inherited, but there are a few pentodes, small double triodes and mixer tubes I hope I can do something with. If I do I will report back here.

6 Likes

My grandfather was also a television repair man and electrician. My grandmother actually worked at Philips assembling tubes. :slight_smile:

Corroded pins are usually not a problem, it wears of when you put them and out in a socket a few times.

There’s a vacuum tube ladder filter on hackaday (i think also in a topic on this site?) using ecf80s i think. You can use pcf type tubes with no problem. You’ll probably have a few of those because you see them a lot.

There’s a guitar preamp schematic on google using a ech83 i believe, i put a one transistor fuzz in front on a dual gang pot and sounds really nice for bass frequencies.

A lot of tubes ( not all, but a lot) with the P prefix are the same as their parallel heater counterparts, and if you adjust the heater voltage, will work just fine.
One exception that comes to mind is the pl84, it’s not an el84. The pl86 however is an el84 with one triode from an 12ax7. With 300ma heater of course :slight_smile:

EDIT: I MEANT PCL86 NOT PL86

A lot of small signal tubes work with very low anode voltage, i think the high voltage is mostly because power amplifiers need it to convert to high current in the output transformer.

Btw. Usagi electric is awesome. Love that channel :slight_smile:

4 Likes

These pots are from the same manufacturer that I had purchased mine from last year. Tayda has the label incorrect. It shouldn’t say “Alpha.” If you look at the datasheet it has the correct manufacturer on there. They obviously purchased a ton more than I did in order to get the per piece price down that low. I have used these in virtually every module that I have made and haven’t had any issues thusfar.

2 Likes

And I am sure you will have that new case completely built and filled within the next week :wink: :laughing:

3 Likes

Haha! this time I think I’d rather try to make the pleasure of construction last, because maybe my last case due to lack of space in my music room :sleepy:
So the choice of modules for this case grinds my brains a bit :crazy_face:

4 Likes

You’ll have to switch to eurorack… :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You mean a miniature Kosmo, you would also need miniature hands to play with it :laughing:
I think I’d rather knock down a wall to enlarge the room :rofl:

but “il ne faut jamais dire : fontaine …” (everything can happen)

7 Likes

Now that is talking !

2 Likes

Install a suspended ceiling made solely of synth cases.

3 Likes

Took advantage of the Thonk discount code and ordered the bits I needed for the Noodle Toaster, plus another vactrol for the WSG Looney mod. Cor, Thonkiconn Mono 3.5mm Audio Jacks are tiny!

I may have been a bit hasty though, and now find myself wanting to place another order for a few more things… :person_facepalming:

4 Likes

I have this feeling after every electronics order I do :laughing:

4 Likes