What’s everyone’s favorite non diy/factory built gear?

So for making some cool noises I love using my Ukulele and some guitar pedals for some looping and crazy delay/trem/ping-pong stuff. Sadly I haven’t had any keys or synths for a while but my kaossilator pro plus will be here soon.

4 Likes

My keystep pro is turning out to be pretty good. I liked the Korg Minilogue XD. Most Behringer clones ive used are good, and the Korg Volcas are a nice cheap option.

3 Likes

Nice , I’m actually debating on the Rolland jd-Xi and the Korg mini

3 Likes

I’d have to say the Moog Theremini. I’ve only begun my exploration of its power.

3 Likes

I’ve owned and sold so much hardware over the years, so it’s going to be tough to pare it down. Some absolute favorites that I’ve owned are Roland TR-909, Juno 106, Ensoniq ESQ-1, FMR Audio Really Nice Compressor, Doepfer MAQ-16/3, Doepfer Drehbank, Roland space Echo. Also an ancient TC Electronic mixer I scored from a radio station. My favorite non-diy modules that I own are the Doepfer SEM filter and Doepfer Trigger Sequencer.

4 Likes

It’s a very good question that I have thought over before I opened the thread, I’m thinking about while I’m composing my reply and I’ll be thinking about it after. There’s something about Yamaha QY700 / QY100 / RS7000 and I’m pleasantly excited about the latter one for my music. There’s a pedigree of the unobtainable gear for most musicians (PPG Wave) in Waldorf Q Rack because I love wavetable synthesis there’s another I’m vibing right now for. There’s a hole I need to fill in virtual analog synthesis next to Nord Modular G1 Rack which is Nord Rack 2 because there’s lots in one or another but using both would be the best. The recent series of stuff I’ve wanted or needed are Roland Boutique and Elektron Model.

-Fumu / Esopus

2 Likes

Jealous of anyone that’s owned a 106

3 Likes

Haha me too, something about them makes me want to sell my kidney on a tor site :laughing:

4 Likes

I have both a korg T3 and an N5EX , both fly under the radar and are overlooked.

The N5 is a nice mix of manual adjustabiliity and programs.
The T3 is (4king heavy) more difficult but does have in built sequencer…

TBH i don’t have the time to learn eithers advanced functions…

3 Likes

Nice! I’ll have to take a look :eyes:

1 Like

In my late 20s/early 30s my roommate had a Jupiter 8 with a I wanna say SRE555 space echo. That was nice.

My favorite is probably my Mopho X4. I’d be lost without my Model D and Drumbrute Impact though. On the west coast my fave is the Voltage Research Lab-for now.

2 Likes

I bought a walnut wood 265 monome about 10 years ago, I still love it although it doesn’t work with macOS anymore (using a norns clone now) and some of the buttons don’t work (it has 256 so that’s ok).

I guess this wasn’t made in a factory but some parts probably were

4 Likes

I have an Alpha Juno 2, they are still reasonably priced.

2 Likes

I’ve got the iKaossilator app for my phone… does the Kaossilator have midi in / out? If so, then it may be a good thing to control my drone efforts on VM.

3 Likes

The kaossilator does have midi in and out. I like to connect it with my Micrkorg-s for clock and to control some parameters.

3 Likes

Thanks for that, I may save some pennies for one… and a MIDI dongle for my Mac, do you have any recommendations for one of those?

2 Likes

I’ve gotten a lot of miles out of my OP-1. Also an honorable mention for the Akai AX60

2 Likes

This is the one I ordered.

2 Likes

Can’t find one on eBay… found this though. It looks like the same housing, but a different colour.

2 Likes

Yeah that should be the same , I like the indicator LED so you know things are happening . Like when you load patched into a synth and stuff.

2 Likes