Looper / sampler isd1820 (Lo-fi)

Easy and cheap Looper with a ISD1820 chip (Lo Fi)

I bought this small module for few € and made some modifications
71ZWIs2LkhL.AC_SY355

the first modification was to remove the resistance R4 and replace it with a potentiometer of 100k to manage the Pitch of the recording
(Possibility depending on the position of the pitch to record about 20 seconds, and
can not record in pitch position too high ! )

with the plugs (or there is a jumper) by soldering a switch you can select One shot (gate/trig) or Loop.

Solder wires to the pins of the mini switches in order to add switches usable from your box / panel

the same thing for the led : removed the led indicating the end of recording and added the length

again the same thing with the microphone (removed and add length)

I also added a power switch with an indicator led

add body contact on pot pitch

• after, you can add a lot of things ( jack out, LFO with vactrol on pitch pot, audio in, oscillator with LFO, touching patch with CD4040 …)

i made 2 differents :

the other one

i add so an external control with banana jack for be controled by my modular (trigger or gate) :wink:

like in this jam at 4.35 : Music share thread - Share your work!

demo test that I did when I built it :
(before the modular adventure, Looper triggered by a DIY sequencer + stylophone beatbox …)

and the second with touching pad (+ CD4040 for divisions, i like the fx with hissing)

i have find some info on Casper Electronic web site but some of the schem seem to be gone, so here they are

https://soundbender36.wordpress.com/category/looper-sampler/

18 Likes

Very nice stuff which sent me scurrying to AliExpress — debated whether to get some boards for bending or just some isd1820 chips. Decided to go for bending to start with.

2 Likes

yes it’s a good chip, I did that in boxes at the time, but I think we could consider it directly in module with a panel and all that goes well … to follow
like our PT2399 :wink:

I also have some sequencer or others that could have been good modules with the back, but after the bending circuit it was my box period
luckily most can be triggered

3 Likes

Would make a nice pairing with my contact mic module

4 Likes

yes, we just need maybe to review the signal level of the AUDIO IN in the looper for the appropriate modular signal

3 Likes

Bravo! very nice build :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any idea how I should “normalize” (?) signal if I want to add IN and OUT as connections to other modules in rack?

1 Like

I think that it is necessary to reduce the incoming signal to reach a suitable audio signal and to amplify it in output (as for the Stomp Box Adaptor), on my box i add a input pot and an output pot, it may be enough to lower the signal,
but some here could help you better i think

Nice! I’m working on an ISD looper right now as well.
In case you haven’t seen it there is some good info on the Bastl Instruments site with some good details and modifications.

3 Likes

yes it’s the vid about the link i have put in my post : Casper Electronic

it’s the same schem, but there is the vid it’s cool

2 Likes

Ah yeah should have looked closer haha, didn’t realize it was the same thing!

1 Like

One thing that bothered me about this module is that I could find almost no documentation of the ISD1820 chip itself. I finally tracked down a detailed datasheet for the Nuvoton ISD1806 and ISD1810, here. Maybe that’s close enough. It’s not even clear whether the ISD1820 is a Nuvoton design or someone else’s knockoff.

DigiKey lists the ISD1810 as obsolete. No mention of the ISD1820.

Over here there’s a design for what appears to be a functionally similar module, with schematic, parts list, and PCB layout, based on the Nuvoton ISD1932 or ISD1964 chip. There’s a datasheet here. DigiKey sells these chips for $5.21 and $6.24 respectively.

Nuvoton seems to make about a gazillion record/playback chips, if you’re in need of a rabbit hole.

Edit to add: The 1700 series looks particularly interesting, because unlike the 1800 and 1900 series apparently, it does have an input designed to take a single-ended analog signal (in addition to a differential microphone input). And there’s an ISD1760 module for $6 here:

Compare to our ISD1820 Modules, it has following adavantage:

• Longer recording time and mutiple message!
  • Controlled not only by buttons but also SPI from MCU
  • Better voice quality
  • And more expensive.
3 Likes

Got a couple of these modules too, thanks for the work you’ve done! Next task, to find a suitable enclosure.

2 Likes

Would this automatic gain control board help much?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372556437535 .

I’m using one hooked up to a laptop mic, not tried it with this little recording board yet though.

How about this as an enclosure, it’s from a cold war fighter jet. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I made a very simple version for my son (2.5years) :slight_smile:
Just record, and play and the potentiometer for pitch. My first circuit bending project!
Could be a bit louder, but otherwise it works great!
Thanks for the inspiration!

6 Likes

I’m thinking of doing a project like this. So, if I want to add some springs or something for a bit of lo-fi reverb; is the consensus to put the mic on the springs or near the springs. Or do I put the speaker on or near springs? Or is this too low power to generate extra vibrations?

1 Like

if you want add a reverb/echo circuit here’s maybe some way .

here’s some diy spring reverb idea

and a PT2399 circuit more small and easy to add i think

5 Likes

Some add project to the Looper/Sampler + LFO divisions body contact.

I want to have this FX hold without touching body contact

After some test, here’s my idea (i know i could have used a 270K resistor directly but i don’t have it and i add the 120K after pot test )

very simple add, but very fun fx !

2 micro switch that i find in my mess box, glued together (i just need 6 but …)

morning drill

… to be continued this afternoon :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Here the double micro switch in place with the pot and i add also another switch to select Trigger or Gate for the external control (modular in the vid)

I play with fun on a long time this afternoon and i realized that I could also pre-record the effect and add it again afterwards, doubling it in a way for more crazy bleep bleep.

I recorded a “demo” video whistling :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes