Cheap pt2399 reverb/delay module diy

it’s a project that I did a while ago but maybe it can interest a few people.

A delay module, made from a “flat reverb module PT2399” bought very cheap on the net.

Modifications :

• Elongation and adjustment of Time: remove the resistance R27 on the PCB and replace it with a potentiometer of 100k + a resistance of 500 ohms
  • Setting the Feedback: remove the resistor R21 on the PCB, add a trimpot of 22k and change the original potentiometer from 50k to 100k.
  • Addi a CV entry with a vactrol (connected to the time pot)
  • Add a small circuit with a TL072 on the output
  • An adjustable input level with a pot which allows to stop the incoming sound and leave only the delay.

the video is a bit old and with a step back on a snare would have been more demonstrative, but it still gives an idea.

ps : with 500ohm reistor on time, do not start the module with the time pot at zero, the module hangs (a restart and everything is fine), if you want to avoid this increased resistance (can be 2k), otherwise just think about it :wink:

14 Likes

Great, easy and cheap stuff - ma favorite combination : )
I just added pot instead of the R21, could you share some brief schemes for the rest of the mods?

speed man :wink: already in the process of this construction

here’s a little schem for the op amp out
(it’s not mine but I was inspired by it)

for CVin with a vactrol on time pot see here

if you have another question ?

3 Likes

Thanks, nothing urgent : )
Still stuck with my SSO with VC panel project, will check these drawings this week : )

I did the same

but now I want Sam’s delay

If you look around you can find a little anti-latchup circuit that puts a couple k resistance on that point for the first couple seconds after power up. I just put in a fixed 2k in series and said good enough.

1 Like

yes the same one :wink:

thanks for info !

I ordered a couple of these circuits a few weeks ago. Looking forward to giving it a go

1 Like

Hey Dud ! Do you still have the schematics you used to build it ? I’d like to do it on PCB :slight_smile: Thanks !

1 Like

sorry no schematic for it

@Alex1 there’s also the simple version PT2399 chip by Sam (schem & stripboard at the end page)

2 Likes

Thank you ! I’ll check this out :slight_smile: And I’ve got another question. What’s Zen/Zen2 ?

Am I looking at the right thing ?

I do not know and discover it, and I do not understand what is the relation with the delay :slight_smile:

1 Like

Today I tinkered a little with my Simple PT2399 Delay according to Sam’s schematic. The Mix Pot only worked in the last third, so I used a trimmer and turned it around a bit. Now the poti works the whole way and the mix can be adjusted much better. In my case a 4.3K resistor (seen in the picture) helped. Maybe you have this problem too and my tweak will help you a little.

Cheers THOGRE

3 Likes

I already own a handful of PT2399 chips so I guess it would be most economical for me to just build the entire circuit myself. Seems doable, but I guess the end result takes quite some space on the stripboard :thinking:

would love to do some experimenting though, like chaining a few of them together.

I also still have so many of them, if I had known that the circuit was available for so little money, I would have bought it straight away, on the other hand you’re right, I would like to see if you can somehow synchronize 2 PT2399 and then A stereo delay can be built with 1 chip for right and one for left, or something like that

Hi, the red board @Dud uses seems to be an implementation of the Echo circuit described in the PT2399 data sheet: http://www.princeton.com.tw/Portals/0/Product/PT2399_1.pdf

@Dud why use a trimmer and not a panel potentiometer to replace R21?
I’am building an echo module after what you posted, and I am trying to understand.
Thx!

1 Like

because there’s also a pot for feedback,it’s just to can adjust it better :wink:

Something like this, right?

1 Like

Yes that’s exactly what i did :slight_smile:

1 Like

Since this first post I added 2 momentary push switches (one for “freezz” the Time and the other the same thing on Feedback), 2 small buttons for more fun

6 Likes

Hi, a potentially silly question, but I’m a bit of a n00b, both on this forum and with the PT2399.

If I wanted to just grab the wet signal, where would be the correct place to get it?

After coming across this schematic I tried the leg of C17 that is connected to the original mix pot (the one that comes with the module). I am getting the wet signal only, but it seems to be quieter and have less repeats than what I get on the original output.

Can anyone point me to a better point, or even a way of adding a proper dry/wet pot?

I’m a bit scared of releasing the magic smoke if i just poke around randomly!

Oh, and a few pointers on how to go about freezing time would be amazing too :cold_face:

2 Likes