Another ISD1820 sampler (tiny 4 ch veroboard)

Posting another ISD1820 sampler here, as I managed to cram everything into a really tiny box (including a battery), by using pin strips and sandwiching boards.

What I learned:
Sandwiching boards was perfect as I could make all input / output / control connections and continuity check them separately, then leave them and work on different changes on the sampler board (normally cables tend to break when assembling / disassembling / debugging).
Sandwiching also meant I could place boards across the box and worry less about connecting cables getting in the way when closing it.

It runs on 9V battery/adapter in via a 3.3 stabilizer. As it runs on 3.3 V I also use a CD4069 CMOS hex inverter as a summing amplifier (as e.g. Lauri does).

• Another trick to a tight fit was using finer gauge wiring and mount everything a bit tidier than usual… (ribbon cable wiring from a junked harddrive worked fine).

• Small box (c.f. cat’s head)

• Sandwiching the sampler board:

… and the input/output/control-connections board:

Inspiration from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epjCe3o5BPA by Lauri, https://lookmumnocomputer.discourse.group/t/looper-sampler-isd1820-lo-fi/868 by Dud (with loads of very good replies posting alternative versions, including discussion of the “clicking”*).

More build pics (including shorts of excellent drilling help by J. Lindengren)

The ISD1820 is SUPERB for EXTREME pitching, and a 100K pot will still give you very good tuning control.

Here, I pitched church bells down very very low and slowly brought them up (I’ve found no commercially available sampler/looper pedal with quite that range):

Flea Market Cathedral
((sample “Centre-Val de Loire » Bells cathedral”) courtesy of Arnaud Coutancier

• as for the clicking, I noticed you could somewhat lower the clicking noise by recording via line in at higher levels.
6 Likes

UPDATE after a week of use or so…

1. Changed the power from 3.3 V to 5.0 V, so far this works better. Possibly a tiny bit less noise too

2. Added an input transformer (some external stuff added hum, but an inexpensive audio isolating transformer amended this).
    However, I also had to add a second completely isolated input-jack (stereo to mono for stereo stuff). And drilling an extra hole with all components in place… suffice to say I had to chase a minor repair for a while.

3. It’s tiny. The sandwiching works well but I need a magnifying glass to work on it…

Still, worth all the trouble to have direct access to pitch. And that battery is still good. :slight_smile:

4 Likes