Cheap wavtrigger alternative?

Hej, I have seen this

when I looked for the Looper / sampler isd1820 (Lo-fi)

So I was wondering, if this could be used as a very cheap wavtrigger… Has anyone used that module? Maybe also interesting for circuit bending stuff.

The allegedly English version:

Oh yeah, sorry, I assumed it would change language with the browser settings…

For what it’s worth there’s also apparently a 64MB flash version:

I have one laying here. Biggest downside is you can only play 1 trigger at a time. I also don’t know about latency… It seems when you trigger there is some delay. But not sure. Will report back, but it will be a while.

2 Likes

Check if this does polyphony. I’m guessing this doesn’t have the same capabilities. I didn’t see the specs.

I have read details on a few of the cheap ones and non that i have looked at seem to be able to do more than one wav at a time.

Has anyone found a datasheet for the circuit? The “an intelligent voice module developed by the division independently” bit isn’t that helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

no, i almost bought one, and then searched high and low for a decent application guide. but found nothing.

Rob

Well it’s not. I have one. And 15 on the way. For something totally different. But I might just stack 8 together to make a drumkit. So you have polyphony and an endless amount of samples. Let’s hope it works.

2 Likes

https://www.circuitsonline.net/forum/file/45128

This is the most information you’re going to get. I’m currently using it with 8 buttons to trigger 255 sound files on an sd card. Works perfectly for that.

@twinturbo It’s a really easy chip though. 8 analog inputs. Name files on an sd card. Depending on the mode you select, you can trigger up to 255 sound files. Monophonic. So when another one starts the previous stops. Which isn’t so useful for drum sampling, But you could just use a chip for the kick and store 8 different kick samples. Or more… Etc…

4 Likes

Hey, i mean, i have a backburner project that involves eeprom-based lo-fi sample playback. I get it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How is the latency?

Atm I feel like it’s definitely there. Although I haven’t tested it enough. Have been using it for another purpose atm.

4 models in total as I can see:

I’ve got a bunch of these around the place from experimenting (that’s the thing with cheap electronics isn’t it?). I found the latency horrible and getting seamless loops is impossible. Also on lots of these boards the audio output is only on the 3.5mm jack or a mono speaker amplifier, and not brought out to pins or headers, which is a bit of a nuisance when you’re trying to build one into something else, and the three I can see from my desk have all been hacked up to replace the jack with a header.

They’re really not in the same league as a Wavtrigger, but then they aren’t designed to be. What I enjoyed was dropping NASA MP3s of the communications between earth and space onto one with an SD card and mixing that in to what I was noodling about with, because the actual sound quality is pretty good.

3 Likes

Ow… Isn’t it possible to just send the trigger earlier equal to the delay? Maybe I’ll just have to buy a wav trigger.

I thought about that but I for what I was planning (a drum machine made from 4 of them set up identically with a microcontroller to manage unused voices) having that delay was just unworkable. It wasn’t a consistent delay either…

I found myself thinking about getting a proper Wavtrigger as well, but then I suddenly had a whole load of things I had to pay for AND the lockdown so it’s been left in the basket for when I have some - any - disposable income again.

Incidentally, this is the cheapest one I’ve found in the UK: https://cpc.farnell.com/sparkfun-electronics/wig-13660/wav-trigger-16-bit-audio-player/dp/MK00881

2 Likes

Check amazon, i got mine for a bit cheaper than that with free shipping too. (Dont forget to buy an SD card, you can get for like 7 bucks though)

I think I’ll get the Tsunami Super Wav Trigger when I’m ready. Those individual outs look ace. It’s more of a serious-ish investment, though, at $84. The regular Wav Trigger is closer to the impulse buy limit for me. In short, they’d already have my money if they hadn’t gone and made it better :rofl:

4 Likes