Kosmo format multiples

Pcb sets for two types of multiples both in 5cm kosmo, a doepfer style switched-mult and a buffered/passive mult combo.

There isn’t a whole lot to say about them, the buffered mult is one of the better ones I’ve seen in opinion, with trim pots on each output so you can match them exactly. Here is the original schematic:

I changed his fancy pants resistors and the trim pots and still have the outputs tuned to within .01v of each other. I doubled the design for two independent 1 to 3 mults

On the pcb, you can add one wire from input 1 tip to the switch-tip connection on input 2 if you want to have it ‘normaled’ (is that the right term??)

The switch mult is based off doepfers design but with two pole switches and LED indicators. Here is doepfers model: (http://www.doepfer.de/a182.htm)

I have a 3 or 4 of each left or help yourself to the files and print your own. I have extra faceplates now so if you have one of the circuit pcbs already I’d be happy to send you a free faceplate If you cover shipping

8 Likes

frakking gorgeous :smiley:

2 Likes

Got faceplates set aside for ya! @d42kn355

2 Likes

They really look amazing :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

No more switched mults!

2 Likes

Love the artwork on those face plates!

2 Likes

C Torp,

:open_mouth:

-Fumu / Esopus

1 Like

that was quick haha :smiley:

1 Like

How did you get the text on the copper layer? When I edit the text in Kicad and set its layer to F.Cu it just looks weird, as if the solder mask is still on top of it…

If you copy the text and put it on the mask layer, it gets rid of the mask on top of the copper text.

2 Likes

Ah! That’s it! Thank you! Do I need the text on the copper layer beneath or can I just use my ground plane? That seems to work in the preview…

1 Like

Well, yeah, if there’s a ground plane and a text-shaped hole in the mask, you see copper.

2 Likes

Not a KiCad user, but assuming it works the same way as everywhere else, the mask layer is negative so if you draw things there, the mask is removed in that location. This gives you a palette of five different “colors”:

Layers Effect
(nothing) Solder mask on epoxy laminate (some mask colors work better than others).
Copper Solder mask on copper.
Copper+Mask Plated copper, usually HASL (tin) or ENIG (gold on nickel). Avoid HASL with lead if you expect people to touch the surface. Nickel allergy is also a thing.
Mask Bare epoxy laminate.
Silkscreen Silkscreen (on top of any of the other combinations).

There’s a bunch of videos on YouTube on doing 5-color artwork this way; e.g. here.

EDIT: Examples (rendered with EasyEDA’s camera mode):

4 Likes

I wish the gold plated wasn’t 15$ extra at JLC

2 Likes

Yeah just do a copper ground pour. You need for your mounting holes anyway. Then it’s easy mode. U can do vector graphics the same way by importing a DXF file from Inkscape or what have you

1 Like

Man I missed this one, wish I would have seen this in time. Would love to see this come around gain, love the graphics!!!

1 Like

Thank you a lot! I am getting the idea, the thing that confuses me is that the mask is a mask for the mask, so it determines the area where no soldermask should be! :dizzy_face:
One thing I am still missing: How can I get a custom graphic below the soldermask? When I use the bitmap to component converter, its puts the graphic on the copper but then this also removes the solder mask… can I somehow get the solder mask back on top of if? I want the effect of a relief somehow…

2 Likes

How are you getting the graphic onto the copper layer? The bitmap converter gives you only four options: F.SilkS, F.Mask, Eco1.User, and Eco2.User. To get something on F.Cu what I’d do is choose F.SilkS and then manually edit the library file to replace F.SilkS with F.Cu. If I then place that, it does not affect the solder mask.

2 Likes

@JUXTAPOZ74 which one(s) did you want? I’ll be ordering boards for another design anyway.

@sebastian @analogoutput. You can also import graphics to some more layers by importing as a dxf:

Still don’t get copper layers tho. Trying to figure out why you would need to use something on CULayer other than a fill, unless you wanted the pcb material to show.
Not quite sure what you mean by relief? Like a Braille-like effect?

1 Like

Also, I’ll put a BOM and build notes together today after work

1 Like