Introductions: Say hello, tell us about yourself and your projects

yeah, something like this. i was actually looking at that exact mean well part.

either that, or i might get polyend’s “anywhere” module, which takes 5V from a standard USB power bank and does all the conversions for you.

5 Likes

Hey that’s not bad for the price considering the freedom it gives you.

https://polyend.com/anywhere/

4 Likes

yeah it’s pretty good! i still have to make the decision if i want to just buy it, or if i want to roll my own setup. doing things myself is always the more tempting option, but sometimes it’s nice to have something with a bit of a warranty…

3 Likes

I imagine some of our “suitcase rack” enthusiasts will be interested in the option. It costs you 4hp on the rack and for that you can use the entirety of the rest of the case for modules. Plug it in to a power block you can carry separately, or just use any high current 5V supply.

1 Like

The polyend folks rolled their own boost converters to get from 5 V to ±12 V at 1 A, but a slightly cheaper DYI would be to get a 20-30 W DC/DC converter and power it with some old 19 V laptop brick. You need a converter that can handle a 4:1 input range (e.g. a RECOM REC20-2412DZ or REC30-2412DZ; I’m sure the usual suspects have similar units). They’re like 10 mm thick so should be easy to hide somewhere in the box.

(totally untested, so no idea about ripple etc at these loads)

EDIT: but this is pretty off topic at this point, a bit tempted to copy this over to a new thread.

2 Likes

The Kosmo modular I’m building can’t wait for conventions and meetups to be safe to attend. I had some idea related to some of Sam’s videos with animatronics.

-Fumu / Esopus

4 Likes

hi protowavemusic , you did write a bit over here . lived in Detroit till I was about 16 in the burbs now . sounds like some interesting projects you have in mind , you will find a lot of help and encouragement around here .

6 Likes

:wink: Yeah, bit off topic :wink:

Hello Hello, Willow2x here =) MrKai if u prefer… been building a voice of Kosmo panels over this whole C19 business, it started from my brother giving me a Teensy4 at xmas, had no idea what to build with it for a while and i have no experience with Arduino code. I settled on a MIDI drum kit to use in Sunvox (linux DAW that works on R-pi) it took alot of trial and error tinkering wth peoples code but i did get 4 drumpads recognized clapclap

Somewhere along the line i guess LMNC vids started popping up (Thank you spooky internet algorithms) and i decided i had to pick up this DIY Analog Modular business and dive into designing/making a system for myself.
So far i have AS3340, MS20LPF, EnvGen, Mixer, BigButton made/ready. but not working 100% to my liking XD
Im here to share my designs (via Thingiverse) troubleshoot and learn to debug my system =)

Im learning so much as i go and still feel like i have no idea what i am doing haha!
for instance, ive popped like 5 TL072 trying to get my EnvGen set up and working right.

Thanks for having me =)

8 Likes

Whoops forgot to link you guys to my Thingie… https://www.thingiverse.com/willow2x/designs

Feedback appreciated, If enough of you bother me ill make a Eurorack Standard bunch of STLs.
I (for one reason or another) decide that 130mm is enough for a panel, I’m now thinking that i want to go for 150mm and dub it ‘MicroKosmo’ haha!

5 Likes

Then you’ll need to make a MicroKosmo Mikrokosmos!

5 Likes

Doesnt look like too much work! =) I bet that sounds awesome with some reverb/delay and something squelching it up!
Ill add it tho the list =P

4 Likes

Yo!
I guess I go by Hanged Man now. My pseudonyms have changed over the years, but I think this one is “the one”.
I’ve been learning about audio engineering, music production and sound design for about 3 years now, give or take a few months. I’ve always had a passing interest in electronics, but I’ve been finding that learning more about it and gathering tools & components has been both easier and more necessary in my life as of recent.

I recently got employed by a pawn shop (I’ve worked in one before, but this shop seems to have their shit together), and I’ve taken it upon myself to further my skills to not only be their repair guy, but also to be able to make my own doo-dads.

I’m waiting on some components to fix a bass, circuit bend some stuff I have lying around and to build an oscilloscope. My “bandmate” and I are also trying to figure out how to use a 2 stroke motor as a cv clock source, so stay tuned for that lads and laddettes!

I just joined the forum, but I’m hoping that this place is a good fit for me. Other than lurking 4chan & Reddit (with the rare post or reply), I’ve never really been part of a forum community before. Y’all seem pretty swell at a cursory glance.

Nice to meet yas

8 Likes

Hanged Man,

I’ve changed psuedonyms so many times it seems that every time I register I’m taking a 'nym I won’t use again. It’s why I sign with names from elsewhere that nonetheless fit.

-Fumu / Esopus

4 Likes

Only for outdoor jams I hope !
But that sounds fun, and shouldn’t be too complicated (the CV clock aspect), mounting it in the modular case is the challenge :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have been twinturbo since ~Dec 1992 :wink: only variance is when somebody else has got there before me and I have to try something different usually twin–turbo.

One guy did join a forum that I had a hand in managing since August 2003, he joined up as “Twin Turbo” and caused a bit of confusion.

4 Likes

Rob,

On the forum 8bitcollective I registered multiple times and Esopus stuck.

If only I had power at Twitter where I couldn’t get @esopus but the locked account that did manages to have almost no followers and no tweets. I’d say usually no one has the unique name.

-Fumu / Esopus

2 Likes

I had a typo when I used Farabide as a Ltd company when I was contracting.
The company ended up as Farabibe.
Farabide is Doric Scots for where I live.
Farabibe is roughly where I get drunk.
Too silly a mistake not to keep going for 12 years.

5 Likes

Weesleekitcowrintimrouspastie.co.uk

Edit: if I’d known so many people would click that like a real link I would have linked it to a rickroll.

Edit: fixed.

3 Likes

Since we’re sharing name origins, mine comes from my nickname “Max” in college because people thought I looked like Mel Gibson (I think it was a complement then but not so much now) and hirez from a cross between the old Apple Basic command and the nascent field of electronic photography I was employed in at the time. This was back when Hotmail was the thing to use and I carried it over when Gmail came out. It may be time to think about going back to Hotmail though.
…Nahhhh. Too much work.

6 Likes