Introductions: Say hello, tell us about yourself and your projects

Welcome to the fun. It’s near endless.

2 Likes

David,

Welcome to the forum. I follow the hope that if I read things I don’t understand enough then it must subliminally make me an expert. It has to be that way because otherwise I’ll stand by the fact I’m a under qualified. The point I hope to prove is that trying it will turn to be not as bad as I will worry about the outcome before I started. Along the way I hope I’ll learn electronics as it pertains to creative projects and that I can repeat a sound in my head with patches to the synth while discovering what I didn’t know before about creating sounds. I don’t have the synth to play with now but I’ve not accepted this as something fatal to my project as I started back in January without accepting defeat. I’ve bought large parcels of materials to build my performance VCO and performance VCF and later I realized how they weren’t right. I think the theory is that we’re paid in experience lmao. One day I’ll make my own Kosmo modules which is something that a few from the forum are doing with boards they designed and printed by a board fabrication service. Part of my project is including their own boards. Some of them had no qualifications to design electronics but they decided what was the worst to happen by failure and gave it a go; or as it’s said “don’t be scared to try it.” It’s encouraged me at every step through my project. By the way I’m from Uptown New York.

-Fumu / Esopus

3 Likes

Hi,
Really glad to find a platform like this. I am new into the world of diy modulars/synths and arduino. So glad to find such a ressoursfull place. Currently I just finished my Hex-schmitt trigger/gate using the six VCO’s with Hard/sync, just have to put it on a panel and tape the bare wires. Next would be the arduino sequencer, and the as3340 vco(tried one, something burned due to bad soldering, still have to debug.) and whatever fun things are possible! Lot’s of fun and just can get enough of it.

9 Likes

I feel you on the parts purchasing. It’s truly an illness. I have soo many parts that are waiting to be committed to modules but my breadboarding has been a slow struggle of building, ripping apart, starting over - rinse and repeat. I do have an MS20 filter, and two different LFO designs that just need to be transferred to stripboard. I did decide that I would just follow the stripboard layout for the 3340 VCO instead of breadboarding it first because I was feeling depressed by my lack of progress. haha.

When things begin to open up in NYC, we should take a trip down to NYC Resistor for their open-hours makers sessions. They have a few synth builders that show up occasionally.

-david

5 Likes

I hate breadboard, I detest strip board… ( 30+ years of hatred) so i am proving my skills at direct to PCB, yes it goes wrong and redesign/reorder costs ££ . but i am loving doing the PCBs

4 Likes

All part of the art @twinturbo

2 Likes

David,

It’s one disease to have all the parts for building a kit but designing a module from parts is another entire sickness worked it’s way with me. I might use the Kosmo Panel Blank 5cm and 10cm by @d42kn355. I don’t want to have to challenge myself with my first designs’ sound so the possibility of making a passive mute LED module powered by CV isn’t off.

When gatherings are permissible I’d be very interested to check out what local Synth DIY meets are happening then Kosmo gets to spread here. Thanks for the info.

-Fumu / Esopus

5 Likes

For the clarity of what I posted above I’m certain I might make a design of some passive module with no board on blank panel.

-Fumu / Esopus

5 Likes

:upside_down_face:
ok as long as you have fun and it doesn’t harm any animals or people …

4 Likes

… scraps plans for All Live Mouse Modular.

4 Likes

Which reminds me that I’m very tempted to add the furby organ under “modern reconstructions” over here:

6 Likes

Cat organs require properly tuned cats

5 Likes
5 Likes

hi, it’s wave. born, raised, and live in detroit. professional classical/jazz didn’t work out, so i continue to explore the world of electronic music.

my grandfather worked as an otis elevator technician and an RCA television/radio repairman starting in the 1930s - i still have his old toolbox, with about 50 NOS RCA tubes/valves in it. my dad is a professional classical musician and recording artist, who got me into reel-to-reel, vinyl, and hi-fi in general, from a very young age. by the time i was 6 or 7 we were regularly scouring thrift shops for discarded hi-fi equipment to bring home to the basement workshop and restore to working condition. (old solder/flux has a very distinct smell.)

so, needless to say, i’ve been into electronics and circuitry - specifically audio and music stuff - for a long time.

i’ve built a number of unique pieces for work - think science/children’s museum - including a musical stairway (with IR beams that are interrupted by people’s feet), a “harp with no strings” (same deal, but vertical), and a walk-on piano. all three of these use WAV Trigger boards from sparkfun, which i learned about from sam’s synthbike 3.0 videos! unfortunately i only have photo/video of one of them (the walk-on piano) available, so if you’d like to see it:

walk-on piano video… https://streamable.com/hg4oes

so, thanks sam. you helped me gain quite a lot of job security. lol

at the moment i am planning out a bit of a wild project. i don’t think i’ve ever seen anyone try anything quite like this before. i’m planning a large-scale cosplay for when conventions and meetups return to the world, and as i’ll be in a full body suit playing a character, i want to have a real-time voice changer that can be modulated by people coming up to me and pressing buttons/turning knobs/patching cables on the suit itself (probably on my chest). SO… i started to look at some of the DIY kosmo modules and they fit the bill really nicely for relatively inexpensive ways to filter/modulate incoming audio… and i can build them myself, so i can make them run off a 12V power bank (like the one from harley benton that’s for guitar pedals)…

see where i’m going with this? :slight_smile:

well anyway. i don’t have any modular stuff yet, but i do have a few pieces of standalone hardware, like a korg electribe and a 1010music blackbox (the blackbox is really, really great). so this will be a somewhat new adventure for me, combining a lot of my existing skills/experience to create something unique. kinda like my day job!

here’s a thing i’ve done with the blackbox… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qme3xArr1P0&hd=1

ok, enough typing for now. i’ll be around. talk to yall later.

10 Likes

Welcome. sounds lke you have some interesting stuff going on!

3 Likes

I lived very close to that science museum in 2002/2003, I think. Wayne State campus, right?

3 Likes

close! different science museum. head an hour west to ann arbor and you’re there.

3 Likes

Ah, yeah. Just latched on to the Detroit part :grinning:.

2 Likes

You mean this?

You need ±12V, not just +12V. Are you planning to work up something using two of them?

5 Likes

Well, if you feel adventurous you can add SIP DC/DC converters to your modules and run them off a single supply, but that’ll add $5-20 to your modules.

(the SIP ones are typically available in 1/2/3/6 W versions, can run off 5/12/24/48 V, and are about the same size as a eurorack power connector :slight_smile:)

7 Likes