Introductions: Say hello, tell us about yourself and your projects

Mine came from when i was in highschool trying a little too hard to be an edgelord. It stuck though.

7 Likes

devicex a play on my e-mail / last name . anything else to hard to remember like passwords .

5 Likes

I made my username up specifically to join a synth forum earlier this year. It’s a fairly simple play on the word beatnik, the “bit” being a reference to my former career as a software engineer or bit twiddler.

7 Likes

The only wordplay in Esopus is Native Americans had their tribe name Sopus corrupted by Dutch to Esopus. They are now absorbed into other tribes after the Esopus Wars. I changed my name frequently online until I was satisfied with Esopus.

The pictograms for fu and mu might have wordplay in Fumu and I wouldn’t know because it came from Hell Is Above Us: The Epic Race to the Top of Fumu, the World’s Tallest Mountain by Jonathan Bloom which is his historical fiction. I was making a separate name online and eventually Fumu and Esopus came to be associated within the same online space.

-Fumu / Esopus

1 Like

Childhood memories basically, Trapa Natans is the latin species name for water caltrop.
There is one spot closeby where they still grow and our canoeing club had a campground at this lake many years ago.
Now that area is a nature reserve (Rhine floodplain forest), looks like this :heart_eyes:

AH_IMG_0714-M

The plant is endangered in Germany. The ripe seeds are black and look cool but their thorns really hurt if you accidently step on them.
If i ever release some solo music i’ll use them as a logo.

8 Likes

Ja ja, der liebe Rhein, ich wohn an der Fulle in der Stadt mit dem Herkules :slight_smile: Schön noch jemanden aus Tschörmäni zu sehen.

3 Likes

I’ve been Beau since I was a baby. Actually my dad thought I was so ugly that I reminded him of Boris Karloff as Frankenstein. So he nicknamed me Boris, which became Bo and then when I was about 12/13 I made sure everyone spelled it Beau. Most of my friends think thats my actual name, which is in fact Robert.

8 Likes

So, welcome Robeaurt :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi I’m mcshafy. I’ve been into synths since I first heard them!

Over the past few months I’ve been adding diy builds to my setup. Great fun!

Ring Modulator

dual bi-directional switch, dual attenuator, 2 x dual passive LPGs, dual amp with Set gain of x4, and a buffered mult

LFO

And those are just the ones that worked😂

9 Likes

Hello

I joined this place after seeing the 1000 Ocsillator Megadrone video. I’ve since bought the panel/PCB set and will be buying all the bits over the next couple of weeks and then building whenever I get the time.

I dabbled in circuit bending a few years ago but other than that I’m a total novice at electronics.

Mark

11 Likes

hello JazzRobot ,

yep you have got " it " well we are here with you . so lets have some noisy fun aye .

5 Likes

Thanks, devicex. Let the fun commence. I’m hoping for lots of weird sounds.

3 Likes

Just looked around a little and saw that I haven’t even introduced myself. So my name is Thomas and I am 40 years old. I come from beautiful Kassel in Germany. Until 4 months ago I had almost nothing to do with electronics, except a little with my quadrocopter and my flying wings. And then I saw one of Sam’s videos and you can say that my life changed suddenly. I’ve always made music, a little with the guitar and a little with the PC, but somehow always. But only hip hop, I never had anything to do with electronic music, that has changed too. I like Sam’s things, of course, but I also like Stephan Bodzin very much. Well, anyway, I’ve built around 15 modules myself and there is NO end in sight :wink: . I build all my modules on stripboard and also make the panels myself, apart from the first PSU I haven’t bought a single circuit board or kit and it should stay that way. It’s not just about the modules, since I’ve been dealing with all this stuff, I’ve been able to repair a lot of things very cheaply that would have cost a lot of money with a repair service! So, an absolute win win situation! By the way, this text was translated with google because my english is sometimes not that good :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Herzlich willkommen. Mach dir keine Sorgen über dein Englisch. Mein Deutsch ist schrecklich, als ich Sänger ausgebildet habe (Keine Schubert-Songs über Synthesizer!) Welche Module hast du gemacht? Ich würde gerne eine Liste oder ein Foto sehen.

4 Likes

Dein deutsch ist doch super :slight_smile:
Also, here we go :

From left to the right: 5 Channel Mixer with 2 Outputs (Niklas Rönnberg), Double Sub Oscillator (
actually for the behringer crave, but also works great in the modular), MS-20 Filter HP/LP (Sams Design), another double sub oscillator (same as the first not quite finished yet, the protective film is still on), the left in the back is an ADSR (Yusynth) and on the right is a 3340VCO (Sam’s design with slight changes from me) and on the right side is a module I’m working on right now, a PT2399 delay (also Sam’s design).
I have all the modules together a second time in a green box, there is also the I AM O VCA from Kristian Blasol and a combination of LFO and oscillator with the 40106 chip.

By the way, today is THE big day. I’m going to the hardware store right now and buy the material for my first rack. I’m really excited about what it looks like when everything is in the rack!

9 Likes

Impressive work @THOGRE
As today is “case” day and you seem to have caught the DIY synth bug can I take a moment to relate the sad mathematics of synth cases…

Whatever number of cases you build : you will need at least one more :joy:

3 Likes

Oh yes EVERYONE says that! That’s why I build 2 rows with the bottom there is still space for the Beatstep Pro. However, I’m not quite sure, I bought boards with the dimensions 80x20x1.8cm, now I’m thinking about whether I should shorten them to the planned 55cm or just leave it 80cm wide. Questions upon questions :). But I also got a great bargain. Because of Corona there is no VAT in Germany and so I got this darling for 45 € instead of 60 €. Now we can FINALLY start with aluminum panels … yüüüar !!!

5 Likes

Even at €60 I think that would be worth it. I’m tempted even though I have no plans to take my work into that style of construction.
Tischbohrmaschine I like too. Slightly more descriptive than “drill press.”

4 Likes

You can also make knobs with the right bit on your drill and a bit of care. Holzknopf??

4 Likes

Yeah ! Thats a fantastic Idea !

3 Likes