Analog Output Mikrokosmos

My synth is slowly coming together in my head…

And I want a shallow and almost horizontal case with all the “performance” inputs to put in front of the vertical case with “normal” modules (let’s say it will be my keyboard, as I can’t play a ‘real’ keyboard…)
Stuff like joysticks, bend-wheels, triggers, and… MikroKosmos.

But for that I need a top-down front panel like this :

I would like to have “Gain” below the pot, but that looks way too close to the copper “scratch pad”, so I put both on top and below here as example, bottom has my preference, but above is okay if it’s too tight below.

@analogoutput what’s the workflow to make this ?
In file mikrokosmos_panel_inkscape_silk.png there are no markers for the center of the holes to rotate the text around.
This one is blurry as I scaled it up to try to overlay it to mikrokosmos_panel_inkscape_silk.png, but that’s just approximate…

Thank you for your advice.

Can you use an SVG (Inkscape) file? I could send you that.

I guess I can, never used it, but it can’t be too complicated to rotate a text around a center…

Thank you

Oh, turns out it’s already in the repo: https://github.com/holmesrichards/Mikrokosmos/blob/master/Panel/mikrokosmos_panel.svg

1 Like

OK, thank you.
Now installing inkscape and see what I can do…

1 Like

Planning to morph one of these into a music box module this weekend. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you need help with this let me know. I can adjust your file for you and send it back.

Thanks @popflier for the offer.
I have a couple of problems…

First, when I clic on one of the “Gain”, “Mic In” or “Out” labels, Inkscape tells me it is using the “Noto sans Display” font.
So I went to download and install it from https://fontstorage.com/font/google/noto-sans-display
But this font doesn’t look at all as the one in the png in the repo (not on the web page preview nor in Inkscape).
I have no problem moving these labels around and flipping them, just the font.

Second, the “Mikro-Kosmos” and “Analog Output” labels, I can’t even select them to modify them…
And their font also doesn’t look at all as the one in the png.

MK

[Edit: the .svg is in AnalogOuput’s repo here : https://github.com/holmesrichards/Mikrokosmos in the “Panel” folder]

I have Inkscape but I typically work in Adobe Illustrator. So the font used for the Gain, Mic In, and Out is called “Copasetic.” The font used for the MIKRO-KOSMOS and Analog Output is called “Limelight.”

You should be able to select all of the text in Inkscape using the svg file, but you’re saying that you can select everything but the module name and AO text, yes?

EDIT: I just tried opening the .svg in Inkscape and I run into the same issue as you. The layers for those 2 text items are locked. You need to unlock them in Inkscape. Goto Layers > then on the right side where it says “Panel Hardware” right click and select “unlock all layers.”

Also the reason why you cannot see the font correctly in Inkscape for the Gain, Out, etc… is because you need the Copasetic font installed on your system.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help, I’ll try this during the noon break.

I can send you a dropbox link to download the copasetic font.

1 Like

Thank you, but I found them for download.

1 Like

Ignore my message then… :slight_smile: If you need any other help let me know.

5 Likes

By the way, something to be prepared for: If you use KiCad, it takes a LONG time for it to render the 3D view or do some other operations with this design. The scratch area bogs it down, apparently. And there’s no indication it isn’t just frozen, but it gets there eventually.

4 Likes

It looks like the Copasetic font used is in bold ?
At least it looks bolder in the png than the one I found online.
The one I have has just the Regular style…

Sorry…I didn’t see this last message from you. The Copasetic font is regular and not bold so you have the right one.

1 Like

Actually the pot and jack labels are “Copasetic NF” 12 pt Bold. I’m not sure where I got it but it does seem to be available here https://www.1001fonts.com/copasetic-font.html

“Mikro-kosmos” is “Limelight” 9 pt and “Analog Output” is “Limelight” 10 pt.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will try with this one !
As I said, it looks like the one in the PNG is bolder than the one I have downloaded, but I’m not 100% sure it really is.

Limelight works perfectly and gives me the same result as in the PNG.

1 Like

Yes ! This was it.
Now on to the next step, getting this back into Kicad…

BTW, I found this plugin for Inkscape, looks like a good way to design panels…

I’ll try to rename and merge the layers to see if I can “convert” this panel to work with sv2shenzhen

2 Likes

Looks interesting, though maybe kind of overkill for this — you already have the copper footprint file so just need to export the art/label layers to PNG and convert that in KiCad.

1 Like