A litany of dumbassery

so there is a problem with tweaking mother and daughter boards ? dam , off to the Problematic Terminology Center …

6 Likes

Alright you got me busting up now :rofl:

3 Likes

Tonight I decided to get around to makin the Kosmo ADSR. Everything went great, but at the last second i soldered the chip sockets in on the wrong side.

Managed to de-solder the sockets, but now im going to have a hell of a time getting this sorted. It was going so well too!

Anyone have any experience with this and maybe have some pointers? @fredrik?

Im just glad i noticed before frying the damn ADSR chip.

6 Likes

I’ve used a solder sucker and solder wick with decent success. It’s a huge pain though.

3 Likes

Ooof. If it were me I would just clip the IC socks as a lost cause and clean up the pads

2 Likes

Thankfully i de-soldered the sockets just fine. The issue is the solder has filled the holes so Ill have to get some wick to clean it out first. I forgot that was a thing.

I dont work with PCB often, im mostly a stripboard person. Up until this point it was considerably easier. Dang it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For removing the solder from the holes I tried the tip with the wooden toothpick that I read somewhere here in the forum. It worked quite well for most of the holes, but I needed to clean it up with some solder wick as well.

1 Like

Some options:

• Wick + extra flux (get a flux pen, and add extra flux to the wick before wicking)
  • Manual desoldering pump (varying quality, most are a bit crap, I have an Engineer brand one that’s supposedly good but haven’t tried it yet, but even the crap ones can be useful for a first pass).
  • Toothpicks, as mentioned (I think it was @analogoutput who first suggested that)
  • Desoldering needles may work in some cases; less likely if the holes are tiny.
  • Inertia – heat up the solder, smack the board against something. May or may not be a good idea depending on board size, hole location, and what you smack it against (I do this a lot, but my boards are tiny).
  • Electrical desoldering pump/station.
7 Likes

for this sort of problem i use a manual pump and i find it’s a good solution

3 Likes

I have had to do it on one board recently, just be careful you don’t kill the through hole.

I have a manual pump and it gets the big stuff. Wick seems hit or miss.

I have a set of soldering tools one of which is a pointy metal thing that some times works.

5 Likes

Thanks y’all. This isn’t my first time doing this type of mistake, but it’s sometimes a mess and I appreciate all the options to try. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I usually put the point of the soldering iron in the hole on one side of board and solder sucker it from the other side when it heats up to a liquid . that usually gets most of it . though that might not apply to sockets now that i think of it . unless you clip pins off first .

3 Likes

Yet another option is to leave the sockets on the wrong side, and mirror the chips instead, by bending the pins upwards :upside_down_face:

(tries to google up an example, only finds gym discussions, casseroles, and notes on the geology of vermont, gives up)

7 Likes

Or run them through a Rhennius Machine.

3 Likes

Welp, had my CB55 panel drilled up as even as could be. Go to plop it in my case, and the darn lower jacks are too low for the case.

12 Likes

look at all that real estate I left on top of that panel.

3 Likes

can you cut out the rail to let it fit…

I did something similar with my first PCB

3 Likes

That did cross my mind.

4 Likes

Do you have enough space to put the lower jacks up top instead? Youd have holes on the bottom, but you can cover that up. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can get the panels for free, so I will probably just re do it.

4 Likes