A litany of dumbassery

I designed a board with potentiometers accidentally reversed. A surprisingly visually pleasant kludge to fix that.

12 Likes

we need a t-shirt for this one.

4 Likes

looks like they are jumping rope …

2 Likes

Circuits sure have a way to half-work as you’d expect but also break down in completely baffling way for 15 minutes when you don’t realize you’ve unplugged the ground

5 Likes

If you go to build a Sidekick VCO and it stays in hard sync when the sync switch is set to off, it may be because you’ve wired the switch daughterboard to the main PCB 100% backwards. Or so I’ve heard.

(Shown with correct wiring…)

7 Likes

Yo Kosmonauts!

Quick quiz, what’s more dumbass than soldering a 2-row 46 pin header to the wrong side of the PCB?

That’s right, soldering two 2-row 46 pin headers to the wrong side of the PCB!

So, instead of finishing the project up this weeked I got to spend some quality time with my pals flux pen, solder sucker, and hot air gun… duh.

Cheers

10 Likes

Been there it sucks hahaha

3 Likes

Can’t you press the pins (when heated with a soldering iron) to the other side of the pcb instead of getting them out and soldering them to the other side?

2 Likes

Initially I thought I might get away with that, but I hit a few snags.

First was removal of the plastic part of the header. As it was 23 pins long it was very difficult to prise off, and I ended up cutting into smaller, more manageable pieces. This also bent a few of the pins as I got the wire cutter in there.
Secondly, I did manage to get a couple of the pins through to the other side once the solder had melted, but getting them to sit nice and perpendicular to the board proved a challenge.

In the end I used the solder suck to get the majority of the solder off, then the hot air gun on little sections at a time. Once I could see that the solder had melted I gave the board a sharp whack on the table and most of it all came flying out, pins, solder, and all. There were a couple of through holes that needed some more attention with the solder sucker, but I tested them all with a smaller header and everything looks good to go.

Replacement headers arrived yesterday so I’m all set to continue building when I make the time.

Cheers

4 Likes

Does posting somebody else’s oopsies count? I spent an hour trying to figure out why the two filters on my Electric Druid Digidelay were behaving the wrong way around. Only to finally get in touch with Tom at electric druid to confirm that the pins were reversed in the datasheet. Have been for years apparently. I guess it really does happen to the best of us :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

Today was Electronics Recycling Event Day, also known as Kiss Your KiCad Screwups Goodbye Day.

7 Likes

hmm. i have quite a few. i want to make them into useful art.

2 Likes

is art usefull? discuss

4 Likes

Is discussion useful? Make art.

6 Likes

are Farts useful disgust

3 Likes

f̵͖̺̤̂̏̿̾̈́͊̋̕̕á̷̪̤͖̪̫̆ŗ̶̢̟̜͓̭̖͇̝͖͍͓̳͔̞̎̑͑̏̄̈̌͠͠ṭ̴̟͖͈͉̥̋̃̌̆͝ ̶̗̓̃̔̏̅̏̌͐̂͘͘̕͝d̵̪͓͙̖͍̜̆̈̆̂̾̎̈͗̌̽̄͊̎ͅi̵̡̪̺̝͎̟̲̮̻͉͔̋̊͌͆͌́́̀̄s̴̨͓̮̣͎̹̬̔͆̇ć̷̡͕̮̣̱̻̩̼̤̼̳͚̼̟̻͊̚͝u̷̼̗̐̇̏̓̀͐̐̂̄̐̕s̵̡̖͍̖͔̰͖͈͍̪͎̀͗̅͆͋́̈́̾͛̚̚͜͜ş̸̛̱̮̖̩̫̉̆̐̄͛̆̾͘i̵̧̨͕̦̭̮̖̙̽̃͝ò̵͙͗̓̋̓̈́̒͌͘͝n̷̨̨̜̳͕̬̱̖͙̖̹̠̿͋͘ ̶̗̺̽̌͊͘̚ë̷̢̞͈͑̆͗̈́͜ͅm̵̛̛̲̯̍͋̑̄͂̀̉́̂͋̄͠p̷̧̡̛͈͖͓͓͙͉͉̩̲̌̄͗̔̉̏̅̒̆̚͜͜͝t̸͔̗̺͙̗͐͐̊͛̿̀̌̍́̍̀̀̚͜͜͝͝y̷͉͚̱̰̎̈́͂̄̚͝͝ ̸̨̛͖̱̮̪̗͈͔̰͕̩͂̐͗̂͋́͜͝h̴̦̗̫̦͍̙̬̲̭͛̒̍̊͜e̶̢̡̠͉͉̲̪͑̓̅̑̈̈̓͂͗̉͆͘͜͝ą̸̘̲̖̞̱̯̬̫̬̇̌͂̔̚͝͝d̴̢̤̼̞̻͇̱̀̇͗͗̃̅̕͝ ̶̰̟͐̌̿̇̈́̾̈̆ͅḋ̵̨̮̫̺̤̩̳͓͚̗̼̦́̐̇̌̾̿̏̀̕̚i̴̛̦̼̫̽͑̍͒̇̈̔̽̓̔̎̃͝͝ş̷͍̠̯͕̜̮̽̎̀̍ĝ̷̨̛̗͖̮̺͉͍̥͕̟͙̮̗͚̋̐́͊̄́̈́u̵̟͖̟̠̗̹͔̾̄͌̂̃́͗̍̿s̵͙̰̠̪͈͋͐̈́̄̇̕t̵̛̳̫̥̗̫̳̜͛̄͋́͒͜ ̸̢͕̩̯͓̣̤͎̹͎͔̺̫͙̥̎̊̐̃̓́̾̀̄͘͝ä̶̢̲̜̦̭́͜ŗ̵̩̻̰̦̣͓̼̖̬̬̞̤̲͆̊̇͑͗͂̓͜ţ̴̤̯̖̩̥̘̭͓̱̺̭̮͔̈

8 Likes

Uh, no

(None of you have used Tactile_E-switch_TL1100F160Q from my footprints library, right?)

5 Likes

I found my leftover 64k bluepill boards that I could not use for braids, so I decided to make a kosmo peaks to use them in.

Turns out you need bluepills with 128k for that too -.-

5 Likes

(None of you have used Potentiometer_Alpha_16mm_Dual_Vertical from my footprints library, right?)

2 Likes
  • Built Kosmic Taxidermist (what a mountain of Work & Brainwash, but totally worth it)

• wondering why everything works, but the frequency Jacks/Switches do not

• switched wires around because I thought I misunderstood something

• plugging it in multiple times, trying, checked plan 200 times to be sure and put the wires back

-tested if the switches are all okay and surprise surprise, two were broken because…too much heat on the contacts maybe, those were pretty cheap

But yeah, Success! Right before I have to go to work for the rest of the day, so at least with a good, good feeling.

Guys, if everything else fails, please test your switches with a multimeter, just to be sure.

5 Likes