A litany of dumbassery

I’ve just made one of these. I am using fake delay chips, so the delay return is mental but I’ve settled on one I quite like. It plays well with Sam’s 3xSplashback if you like utter chaos

1 Like

I think it’s already happened to some of us, these little switches are really very sensitive to too much heat, you have to be very quick with this kind of beast :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Do you use other chips deliberately or did you get them just because…fake? And which ones?

Oh i have to try it with the splashback delay, indeed!
I like the sounds it can pull from the fartbox, it doesn’t disappoint for all the hassle i had. Would build a second one, if i could just snap my fingers and it’s done. Maybe some day.

2 Likes

As far as I can tell from reading about it the delay chips haven’t been made by hantek since the mid 90s. If I switch in the delay return it gets very noisy immediately the delay time and feedback don’t do much which is aparantly often the case with the fake chips

I’ve got one more chip on order from a supplier in Europe with a good reputation in the hope that’ll be a better copy. Other than that I found a supplier in ebay who sells chips pulled from old stuff but that’d work out really expensive so I haven’t tried that yet

I’ve tried three Chinese chips so far and kept in the one that was slightly more controlled .

I don’t mind how mad the delay return is but it’d be nice to have more control of the delay

3 Likes

Guess I wasn’t paying enough attention to the easy ordering page on Tayda…I’m only off by a factor of 1000…

[Uploading: 20221221_162242.jpg…]

Edit: to add the the dumbassery, I guess I messed up the image upload.

5 Likes

You could buy another 999 of them. Just trying to help really. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

That’d cost nearly $15, which is 3x the minimum order; 340 of values 3x larger would be cheaper.

Or you could buy 10 6.8k, 10 33k, 10 1.5k, and 310 10k for $5.10. You can probably use 310 10k in just a few months if you build a module a week. OK, maybe a year or two.

5 Likes

Bought a whole case worth of Kosmo modules from Sam. Spent days consolidating the different BOMs, searching for parts and where to get them cheapest. Spent days organizing my now considerable stash of electronics components. Last bits arrive, including the PSU I was waiting on for a long time. Put the PSU together yesterday, and now finally got round to starting with the first of 3 VCOs. Getting the specific parts together… and… guess what I didn’t buy?

The bloody 3340! The actual oscillator, the thing that makes the sound! :nerd_face:

10 Likes

LOL yeah thats been done here a time our two .
the crappy part is when the shipping is more than that part you need .

2 Likes
  • Built a module with 7-segment displays, bought fake chips so the displays didn’t work.

• Had to reload the Arduino code because that didn’t work the first time.

• The whole module works, with the exception of one important segment

• Never realized i snapped several pins of the used jacks (long ago), probably for another project, but the jacks ended up here

• so one pin has no connection, which is vital (of course), and obvious if you just LOOK! :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

bitmap

You can do that!?

2 Likes

Forgetting to add the copper layer to your PCBs on a $100+ order :upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

10 Likes

The panels may look very nice with some back lights though.

4 Likes

That’s what I was thinking! Unfortunately a few of the holes were a little small :rofl: Had to make some minor adjustments!

1 Like

Did you realise before they arrived, that’s worse when your just waiting for the cockup to showup.

2 Likes

at least they are front panels!

2 Likes

Yeah, only ever had one FP that i could not even use for mock up.

2 Likes

As if trying to use a 74LS14 on a 3.3v circuit was not bad enough

I did not even initially have any power or ground of any sort on the IC… (may have been a blessing )

at least I don’t have to cut an incorrect 5V line, just tap a 3.3…

This must have been a Friday afternoon job, bit superflous anyway as it’s only used if not using the MIDI tell-tale circuit.

1 Like

not turning out to be my week…

No coming back from this one… tying pin 6 of the Opto Isolator and 74LS14 to ground is not going to aid signal amplitude

No easy fix on this one

V0.4.2 here we come!

1 Like

Grafting a TO-220 onto the former legs of a TO-92. As one does.

7 Likes