A litany of dumbassery

dam never thought of this hobby as being that destructive / dangerous …

3 Likes

Finished a power supply and although I was aware that LM317 and LM337 have different pinouts I managed to swap input and output…on both.

2 Likes

I have done that twice. I now write in Sharpie on the heatsink and still check twice.

7 Likes

and one of the output protection diodes was wrong as well, I wondered why the 337 immediately heated up.

3 Likes

Update: I have been electrocuted. In related news, my power supply works!

10 Likes

I think, unless your are writing this from beyond, you got electrified
Most french people make the same error.
7 Likes

I tried surface mount soldering for the 1st time last night. Made it to the 2nd component before I destroyed the board and threw everything in the garbage.

7 Likes

or had an electric shock.

2 Likes

The word has slowly lost its association with death or killing. I remember in the sixties English usage would extend to non-fatal wounding with electricity. The word “electrification” is actually of much older provenance and has a number of competing meanings that make it a poor choice for warning notices.

In parts of my home town, when you pass from an area of high Sunderland dialect to one where we speak a ditchwater-dull Northern English that can be understood outside a five mile radius of the speaker’s birthplace, there should be a sign reading: WARNING, DANGER OF ELOCUTION.

6 Likes

Some day, I’ll remember that stripboard layouts are mirrored on the back side. Some day.

6 Likes

been there done that .

2 Likes

Well, that was dramatic

18 Likes

Thinking this would make a great badge. How did it happen?

1 Like

I think you may need to replace that.

2 Likes

I bet on reversed power supply

2 Likes

Reversed brain …

4 Likes

Been there, done that…

1 Like

Also, 2N3906 differs from 2N3904 by only 2 parts in 3904, right?

4 Likes

Just to be sure: do not put on your face mask ( your avatar suggest you are doing so all the time :wink: ) when trying a circuit for the first time. I can often smell that something gets hot before I see any smoke (actually I’ve only seen smoke once when I on purpose put 220VAC on a 1/8 Watt 10 ohm resistor and the results were disappointing, electronics is nothing like what you see in the movies) , and I think I wouldn’t be able to when wearing a face mask.

1 Like

There are a number of really clever indoor fireworks, spark an smoke machines. Add a few relays, and you could have a synth session that looks like the bridge of the enterprise during almost every bloody battle. Warp speed but nae fusebox

1 Like