#2001 keyboard sequencer

Just plugged my 2001 into my rack power for the first time and immediately fried the 10R resistor FB2. Any suggestions on where to start debugging?

1 Like

Maybe a good start here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m a dumbassā€¦ turns out I had 4066 chips in all of the TL074 slotsā€¦

5 Likes

Replacing R58 with 1K over 10K as advised seems to have cured some or most of my odditiesā€¦

Strangely ( or is it normal ) I canā€™t use the pads without grounding myself to the Panel?

Bring back the Kosmo play set!

4 Likes

Why stop at 80cm?
My case is 60x100

1 Like

Usually an op-amp plugged in reversed. Common dim light snafu

ā€¦or a 4066 chip in there :smirk:

I finally got around finishing my #2001, but the touchpads donā€™t work.

I tried to raise the threshold value in the code from 800 up to 1022, at 1023 it just makes a constant signal of itself. Or is there a value in between that might work?

• So the gate jack and the LED are functioning.

I hooked up my multimeter to the resistors on the main board and tried the connection of every single pad.

• The pads all have a connection to the main board, thatā€™s not the problem either.

• i tried two different arduinos, one model which drives my 1222 VCOs flawlessly, all the same with both

Do i miss something?

1 Like

Perhaps your hands are very dry and you are not conducting. Iā€™ve literally connected to 125v AC before and only felt a low V nasty wiggle ā€“ maybe 30-40VAC because my hands were so dry.

Just a thought and possibility

Yeah, that was the reason i fiddled with the threshold setting in the code to begin with, because my fingers are incredibly dry. There is even that line in the code that literally says ā€œgo for a higher number for more sensitivity if you have fingers as dry as the saharaā€.

When i was a child, i had an old TV that had conductive pads instead of switches on the front. Those worked fine. Granted, iā€™m not young anymore, but i have two modern lamps that work on the same principle, which are reacting just as they should.

I donā€™t know man. Maybe tomorrow, i try creaming my hands before trying again. Who knows, if that actually works, iā€™ll let you know.

3 Likes

ā€¦or a different resistor value for the pads. a little less than 10M?
A mystery.

2 Likes

Are those resistive or capacitive touch sensors? I think capacitive should be less sensitive to biological differences. 2001 uses resistive, right?

1 Like

I think 2001 is capacitive. I should look at the code to be sure.

1 Like

Confirmed that it is capacitive sensing. Also, the code could use some improvement, such as using the capacitive sensing library from Paul Stroffregen.

2 Likes

Anyone willing to incorporate that code?
Iā€™m not so good a candidate :smirk:

2 Likes

I will when I build mine, but I am not sure that I will get to it soon.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s a decent first hack at capacitive sensors.

https://playground.arduino.cc/Main/CapacitiveSensor/

3 Likes

Subtle prod to Sussmayr, ā€œLook dude, you can deal with this if you just try. You know you want to. Itā€™s not rocket science.ā€ :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Interesting.
Higher value resistors with the bare metal pads means MORE field sensitive, Lower value 1 MEG means less sensitive.

3 Likes

Update: Iā€™am a complete moron, and because itā€™s been months since i did this, i didnā€™t even realize it.

Apparently, i was in such a rush to finish the board, and there were so many 1K resistors, that i just applied them to everywhere, includingā€¦you guessed itā€¦THERE! xD

The Pads work now, but, while the first five change in tonality, the last three all do the same (frequency?!) if i use them to play (ā€œPads Gateā€ to 1222 VCOs ā€œlv/octā€)

4 Likes