#2000 Megadrone

Funny with circuits :joy:

4 Likes

Hi there, thanks for all the good hints. I repaired the output connector and I am using a mixer with amplifier and studio monitors but still no sound. I think I might have damaged the board by trying to repair a bad joint at the capacitor C3. It was giving me a hard time removing it. Can I connect the capacitor C3 at another point/component on the board? Is there a chance it works without it? I am also going to order another LM386. Maybe this is the problem.
Thanks again.

2 Likes

Here is my 8x3 Megadrone 100% recycled electronic waste and deadbugged. The blue knobs will be volume controls once I’ve build the amplifiers.
I run it on 24V and I used various types of transistors.

The pots and knobs are from a Fostex 350 mixer that I, Idiot that I was, took apart back then.

17 Likes

That’s quite a range, it sounds like. Anything you did differently? Looks amazing!

3 Likes

no CV inputs yet, I just turned up the power supply for the “deep note” effect :wink:

The higher supply voltage makes a difference and i used 3 different values for the caps.

Green=22uF, Yellow=10uF, Red=2.2uF

3 Likes

You forgot the minus sign. This is an inverting amplifier so the amplification is always negative.

True, but not really relevant to the question being addressed.

Funny getting a response like that from you.

1 Like

I changed the 386 and it works now. Great sound. Thanks for the help.
Here is another question…
The Master Tune B100k works only in a very small range.
when i turn it from 6.00 to 11.00 nothing happens.
Between 11.00 and 1.00 it works fine.
Then it breaks up and no sound between 1.00 and 3.00.
Any idea?

Feels like I’m being launched into space!

2 Likes

Discussed here:

4 Likes

Mixer/Amp section finished and there will be an extention panel for the dip switches and other things. Each oscillator can be switched on/off now for easier tuning.

9 Likes

That is just really neat!

3 Likes

that thing is gorgeous. love the muted colors.

2 Likes

Nice job mate. It looks very clean and neat.

2 Likes

About the P16NF06, what made it the choice? (as in range of the ohmic region, Vth or what)
I’m looking for something that I could use in place of it for some quick prototyping before commiting for a purchase of a batch haha

look at the pdf 60a current flow , maybe ? Robust mosfet over other types .

hmm… I don’t think that is the case, as most of the current also passes through the avalanche transistor, and they are usually rated for a few mA
I’ll experiment with smaller MOSFETS and share the results

Thanks, I’m also very happy with the looks. I already made it my design rule to avoid any labelling. Everything should be obvious just by placement of knobs and jacks. I’m planning to maybe add colored washers in my build for signal in/out, CV and so on.
In the end nobody except me will use this modular Synthesizer.

2 Likes

So my boards came in and I am very new to all of this with very basic electronic skills. Does anyone have a parts list for US companies like mouser?

1 Like