#2000 Megadrone

Fantastic! Many thanks.

1 Like

Lots and lots of fugu. He must have loved Japanese cuisine.

1 Like

You’ve lost me! But don’t worry im on heavy meds today :smiley:

1 Like

Oh surely you’ve heard of Bach’s Toccata and Fugu in D Minor.

2 Likes

Brain in semi fugue state. Didn’t spot the pun. Cheers

2 Likes

Hi.
I have some problems here.
One of the diode’s was orientated wrong.
So i fixed it but in the process i managed to disconnect The connections on the pcb.
Anyone?

Thanks.

2 Likes

go back to were the trace [ copper lines on pcb ] are still good [ firmly attached to board ] cut loose traces off and lightly scrape the a little bit of paint off the good part till you see bare copper , solder a wire on there and solder the other end to the lead on the part were it would have normally gone . if part is loose because it is not being held by the solder pad you my need to put a bit of glue to hold it in place.

2 Likes

Oke thanks.
I will try that.
I noticed the diode being orientated wrong after running power through it.
Is that a problem?

Anyone else some tips? ( the more you know…)
Also what os supposed to go on j2?

The diode is probably fine, it was just doing it’s job of not letting signals through.

3 Likes

So i went back and fixed it.
But still no sign of it working when i plug it in.
Any ideas?

3 Likes
4 Likes

Hello. Could someone please give me some advice? I am finished building my megadrone. The LEDs are working but I don’t have any sound.
Could I connect single oscillators to the output just to check whether they are working? Any other hint how I can find the mistakes I have made? Thanks !

3 Likes

https://lookmumnocomputer.discourse.group/t/general-advice-for-troubleshooting-a-module/2049/2

3 Likes

I suspect it could already be working. The sound output was so low I couldn’t hear it with my testing setup, but once plugged into a mixer, it was a-okay.

3 Likes

some of mine work others dont :frowning: … put to one side…

2 Likes

ye3ah what are you plugging into ? also do you have any of the ic’s spare I found when building the 1000 oscillator one. 1 in about 30/40 of the ic’s didn’t seem to work!

also the 4k7 snip that for a moment and see if any sound comes out! if it does then your just not listening up enough. as mentioned its quite low signal to allow for all of them to get passively mixed in the kilo drone however I don’t think its crazy low as in unbearable. so you should be hearing sound hmmm

2 Likes

I got the midimuso kit, and it does not really eurorack, as it is like 1 cm too tall. It is the same chip, but it is Sam’s PCB. It is pretty much the same, but there is one huge improvement on it that I kinda miss.

1 Like

so i finally ordered 2 of the megadrone panels.
i already have an enclosure for them and have a plan to add 2 band pass filters, 2 simple lfos and a mixer for both megadrones to the case.
so, sams super simple mixer seems quite easy to build, but is there an easy way to add a boost with volume control, since the megadrones have such little output?

3 Likes

Try replacing the leftmost resistor with a 1M pot.

Added: To be a little less terse, the first part of this circuit has the inputs going through 100k resistors to the inverting input of an op amp. The non inverting input is connected to ground and the output feeds back to the inverting input through another 100k resistor:

This is an inverting amplifier whose gain is the ratio of the feedback resistor to the input resistors: 100k/100k = 1. Increasing the feedback resistor would increase the gain. To make the gain variable use a pot wired as a variable resistor:
With a 1M pot the gain varies from 0 to 1M/100k = 10. You could keep the 100k resistor in series with the pot if you wanted to, making the minimum gain 1 on the theory you’d never want to make the drone quieter. In that case the maximum gain would be (100k+1M)/100k. Yes, that amp goes to 11.

7 Likes

Great answer. This question comes up quite a lot, another answer here: Volca sample sortie

3 Likes