#2000 Megadrone

Surprised this hasn’t been posted yet -
was kinda waiting for Sam to post it but just in case you didn’t know!

6 Likes

Me too actually, I ordered mine this afternoon…

3 Likes

I’m going to be making some chords :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

2no for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

hmm seems quite expensive for what it is and considering there are no chips included…

1 Like

It is quite cheap compared to the rest of the range…
The VCO(1222) is £28.00 for a 10cm wide panel+pcb.
The Filter(1113) is £30.00 for a 20cm wide panel+pcb.
The Drone(2000) is £35.00 for a 40cm wide panel+pcb.

4 Likes

a big bit of the cost comes from the panel, no? I think it starts getting quite expensive to get pieces that big cut and etched

2 Likes

There’s not a lot of extra components anyway.

There’s a lot of time and effort that goes in to what in reality is a very low volume product (well in one sense). The cost of orderin pre-production boards for testing adds up ( God I know that pain )

The only way Sam can continue to provide us with fun , interesting and informative vids is through…

Shop sales and Patreon, you may notice that a lot of Tubers are including “In Video” add breaks, that’s one thing that’s very annoying and Sam has avoided. And it’s his only Job to pay for Life and LMNK.

Does mean I need another case for a pair of drones :frowning:

7 Likes

yeah i see but i imagine other modules took a lot more development time and effort than this one.
for example the midi/cv goes for the same price, seems a lot more complicated, comes with chips worth 12 Euros and two PCBs instead of one.
maybe @lookmumnocomputer can figure out a patreon discount or something :wink:

1 Like

The midi2cv was not designed by Sam. It was revamped and scaled to Kosmo format.

3 Likes

The drone has two PCBs too. Two BIG ones.

3 Likes

not really.

40cm panels are costly. believe me, I made the EuroPlayset’s.

You are also almost guaranteed some damaged if 40cm too… lol.

2 huge 40 cm parts - PCB and a Panel.
Nah, these are a great price.

5 Likes

This is for certain. PCB fabrication can be cheap, but only when you follow their guidelines for their speedy setups. If you deviate from that in any way it starts to cost you bigtime.

3 Likes

I remember that you said you needed that 3rd VCO since Sam is working on that linking utility and since it supports up to 3 you said two wouldn’t cut it and you needed a 3rd…because it supports a 3rd. Looks like you’re getting that third one now! :smile:

4 Likes

Nah. The drone is designed for 1000 oscillators, so now he needs 100 boards :slight_smile:

5 Likes

hey just regarding this, funnily enough, its just the size of em! after multiple costs involved with this one, im not making much at all on these ones, its a surprisingly a tight margin, a lot of things get overlooked when calculating costs of small and medium quantity items. various taxes, packaging and packing, posting inbetween, warehouse costs, proto (not really the case in this one as it was made for the thousand oscillator megadrone which is a different cost entirely), all b stock on such a big and sparse design and for these is coming up rather large!, just the sheer weight and size of the actual project is about 10 times the size of a usual eurorack pcb/panel set. its 4 times the size of the midi to cv for instance.

for this module, I knew from the start this was going to be an issue, and for a relatively simple circuit its a bit overkill on size, which ups the cost. for a more complex module the same size it would cost about the same. but I guess when people look at this listing taking into account the above I guess is not immediate.

This circuit is unfortunately not built to be cheap. If I was making this module with the aim to make a bit of money on it, I would have made it smaller. or squeezed more oscillators in it. but unfortunately both of them conflict with the end goal of the machine, which is one big un apologetic word of OMMMMMMMM. I have a mega drone project that is cheaper on its way its just a circle with a bunch of oscillators on it no cv etc just drones. but sadly this specific module is quite a niche item, its not built to be the cheapest way of doing things. and it is shown in the price. its the best I could do. and I hope it makes sense.

14 Likes

im alsogoing to offer the b stocks as big bulk buys, I have fair few already. so if anyone is interested in orders of 10 and dont mind the odd small scratch or two. then hit me up!

edit : I mentioned 40 pounds v 35. unfortunately after figuring out the costs involved I have had to put up to subsequent orders. however the bulk 10 offer will be a decent discount. still a proper beefy pcb! you’ll see what I mean when you see it in person ha.

7 Likes

also in reply!!! indeed :D. well I hadn’t got all the documentation together quite yet! been on the job list to sort all of that stuff out later today. I was trying to sync it up to a building video of this project but I have ran out of potentiometers!!! aaah. waiting for them to turn up. so a video on the build may come in a week

6 Likes

I think you’re doing a damn good job :slight_smile:

10 Likes

This one is more of a statement piece :wink:

Rob

6 Likes