#1148 quad vclfo

I’ve said this before but anyone with an academic (.ac, .edu, .sch) or corporate (any custom domain) email address can get free samples of any chip in the PIC or AT* line from Smart | Connected | Secure | Microchip Technology .

1 Like

That worked. Thank you! it also raised more questions. I can hear the LFO doing it’s thing e.g. manipulating a VCO but LED action is very poor. i’ll keep on experimenting but now i know i’m on the right track.

I painfully learned AGAIN and it was most likely not the last lesson that in order to “calibrate” one of these things the user needs to know exactly what it (end every of its’ knobs) does. poking around in muddy waters is frustrating…

you (all) will probably have to take my by the hand a few more times :slight_smile:

1 Like

Had an e-mail back from Tom “The Druid” , they are struggling on this PIC with the general worldwide shortage. My PICKIT3 arrived today but so far not the PICs from china.

2 Likes

someone posted Banzai Music in the coponent hunt thread. they are slooooow but they successfully fulfilled two orders for me. Most importantly they have vclfo10 chips in stock and if you are in europe they probably send a snail in your direction too…

2 Likes

I forgot to say that AliExpress seller must have run out of stock and cancelled the order, which is a shame as I had no LFOs and No chance to try and flash a PIC myself.

Ordered from Banzai, lets see if they turn up and if they actually work . At least I have a known good test bed.

1 Like

It occurs to me that some of us may still have stocks of Arduino Nano boards lying around (or even Arduino Unos and Megas). Based on such chips, a reasonable emulation of VCLFO10 may be possible while we wait for the devoutly to be wish’d end of the chip drought. It wouldn’t be a drop-in replacement but it could be enough to kludge it in with long leads.

It’s work, and not everybody has the skills to translate the code from PIC to AVR (or possibly C/C++ used in many Arduino projects), but since suppliers are forecasting very long lead times for new chips it may be a useful project. It would only be fair to tell Tom Wiltshire what you’re doing with his design, too. And remember the licence is CC-BY-NC-SA.

1 Like

I think your proposal is as controversial as converting corn to fuel :slight_smile:

Am I in luck. If anybody in the UK wants one I’m happy to program it and send it to them for the cost of shipping. Then you can have a triple vclfo.

1 Like

Gosh, what a grim picture that paints.

Thinking some more, I think that we could go one better and program multiple LFOs into the chip. Many of the inputs (probably not sample and hold) could be multiplexed. So could the output, for that matter. This is squarely in Nano/Uno territory.

I’m tempted to try an attiny85 but that would be ridiculous because the chip only has 8 legs including the power. Still…

1 Like

Was just thinking maybe Banzi had no real stock, but it’s saying shipped today.

Rob

2 Likes

Mine shipped a day or two ago.

3 Likes

Everybody can relax now. Your nanos are safe from marauding multiplex fiends.

4 Likes

They BE Here!!

All tested all good, now just got to find the desire to build the blooming thing.

3 Likes

Got mine yesterday as well. It’ll be a lot of soldering before I can confirm that they work :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Have you not got a #1145 you can pop them in?

2 Likes

Yes, but I’m also not in a real hurry to find out. I’m assuming they’re fine.

2 Likes

Well as i said all mine checked out so your probably safe

2 Likes

Anybody know which resistot is which in this group of 5 between the two IC’s , @lookmumnocomputer can you enlighten , or post the schematic :slight_smile:

Cheers

Rob

1 Like

i think i interpreted it as 25, 29, 13, 39, 19 top to bottom…

i have “output” but i was not able to get it fully working (yet) and did not start the other daughter boards…

2 Likes

I think it’s 25, 29, 39, 13, 19. All but R13 are immediately below a symbol (not intersecting it) and R13 is similarly immediately above a symbol, exactly as you’d expect in KiCad if R13 were rotated 180° with respect to the other four and none of the refs were manually repositioned.

1 Like