1114 Funky Clipping Filter/VCA

Coming this weekend with schematic and what not is this. Its a funky filter that sounds completely different depending on if you put in unipolar or bipolar waveforms into it (you can bounce between with the offset switch on it to sort of increase its characteristics)

its odd. it has VC over resonance. Attenuverter on filter Frequency input, it has a VCA on the output and a clipping circuit that isn’t Diode Clipping… it literally works by just turning everything up too much lol. (sounds better in my opinion).

coming from a want for a smaller filter for some voices, this and an oscillator and an envelope generator can just be put together to be a small synth voice with distorting weird characteristics.

15 Likes

Oh a new filter just in time for the second french lockdown…

4 Likes

ooh aaah yeah indeed! gunna happen here too I recon!

1 Like

Looks great! I’ve wanted a LMNC VCF, but the performance filter is too big. Can’t wait for the video and the shop listing!

2 Likes

Yessss :smiley: Excited for another Filter. I love Filters :smiley:

@lookmumnocomputer
Would you ever consider deciphering the old Bruel & Kjaer 1613 Octave Filter? :stuck_out_tongue: That would be a cool ass module… If I had schems for it, or a 1613… lol… I would have totally done so already :smiley:
I want that chocolately goodness… lol

4 Likes

Love it! So this is a sort of hybrid VCA/VCF? I imagine it is something that has its own character rather than simply a combo deal.

3 Likes

cool!!! yeah vid hopefully this weekend! lets see if I can get it all done and documented in time haha

3 Likes

it would be cool!!! its very much a gnarly loud fixed filter bank! I do have a take on a fixed filter bank in the works however it is quite a chunk different :smiley: but the bruel does have some nice caps! its basically a bunch of passive filters on cards, and yeah! definitely could decipher a few of them

3 Likes

indeed it is! well the VCA is only there because I had half of a lm13700 left over after adding voltage control to the resonance and adding it to the clipper didnt really render much fun! so figured why not shove in a VCA. yeah its a very weird sound filter its rather steppy and odd :smiley:

4 Likes

What a boring world this would be if filters were all the same.

4 Likes

Sign me up for two, please.

4 Likes

I’m waiting on pins and needles for a demo video; To help me decide if I need two, or six. (one for each VCO)

1 Like

haha! well ill be posting a video on youtube tomorrow on the filter! :slight_smile:

I would say like most clipping circuits 1 oscillator usually just sounds louder 2 is when you start getting the artefacts and distortion,however id be telling a lie because the resonance actually changes its characteristics. anyway ill let you be the judge tomorrow!

5 Likes

Up on the store

3 Likes

Update! if you have downloaded the bill of materials before this post. download it again. it isnt different everything is still there but the 220r resistors were spread onto 2 rows, as were the 470k and 10k which just makes it a tiny bit confusing. so cleaned it up.

7 Likes

Coming from the video where you showed this off and i gotta say i LOVE IT!!!

-edit- oh wow its only $37.00.

Seeing everyone’s setups have really inspired me to get back on the trolley and start building.

Bought mine today!

5 Likes

I don’t often watch these but I probably should. So today I found out what you were doing with that lm13700 in those livestreams early last month.

The walkthrough on the filter’s nicely weird features was invaluable. The octave drop would have puzzled me otherwise. I still have no idea why it drops but it’s nice to know that this is how it’s supposed to work.

PS, getting a Vision On vibe from this (before your time, kids? Sorry!) They always had a gallery section of the show for work the kids sent in, which was frequently of jaw-droppingly high quality.

Apparently this is a recording of the last ever Gallery in 1976. The guy on the right is show regular Sylvester McCoy (who later played Doctor Who and, in The Hobbit, Radagast.) The woman on the left is the host, Pat Keysell. The show was officially for deaf children so she always signed even when as shown here she had her mouth full. Famous TV art educator Tony Hart (not seen here) was a co-host.

3 Likes

A lot of the sounds remind me of the safety valve VCA project.

I’m currently working on some Frequency Central White Face filters and putting them on larger Kosmo panels; I think this mean nasty beast is going to compliment the smooth Odyssey clones nicely.

2 Likes

Can agree there @troberts289. I have the whiteface behind a Kosmo sized panel, and it sounds so silky and smooth. But it would be too clean if I didn’t have a drive circuit and MS20 filter to compensate. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This face is obligatory when you say the “Grr” part:

12 Likes