Wood panel screws?

Im sorry I have been a bit off grid this past week! ill get caught up as soon as! truth be told been a lot of building and not much computing! But excited to see what’s been going on over here!

BUT! I thought this would be a good thread. as I thought I should share my favourite screws and where best to get them. bear in mind this is UK. but there is a shop called WILKOS every town has em, used to be called Wilkinson, anyway go in there and go over to the screw pick and mix, and get these beauties. 13mm 3g I think. they are self tapping and go into wood like butter without any splitting and just all in all a perfect size!

also the way the wilko pick and mix is set up you can easily get well over 1000 of them for about £2.50

would anyone like to share other choices from around the worlds??

8 Likes

Will have to take a walk into town over the weekend, in need of some panel screws and that sounds like a bargain!

1 Like

I do like torx(?)! But I ran out and now I need to find out what kind I had…
I had some splitting unfortunately, but now I always drill first.

2 Likes

im building my case tomorrow!

i didnt actually think about what screws to use to attach the module, knurlies arent gonna work!

ive got a bunch of screws i use for guitar pickguards, maybe thatll do it? how big are the holes in the modules?

2 Likes

The spec says:

Mounting holes: Size: 3.2 mm diameter with 4 mm pad

More here:

3 Likes

get these from the big box store [ homedepot ] always pre drill and use the washers to . they work well with the LMNC Kosmo modules and my home made panels. some modules like the euro rack stuff I have to use smaller screws . those I have mostly dig out of the millions of left over boxes of stuff from jobs over the years .

4 Likes

I just use the M3 washers that came with an amazon pack with them.

PS carpenter trick—if you strip out a hole in your wood rail, you usually just need a little more meat to get a good grab. get yourself a wood splinter plug…razor blade off a tapered piece of wood from a scrap piece slightly bigger than the hole and lightly tap/cram it down the stripped screw hole, basically good as new. Works great on doorhinges too

7 Likes

I slim down dead matches :wink:

2 Likes

ah ace, guitar pickguard screws will work a treat!

1 Like

i use some simple wood screws 1cm long

2 Likes

Toothpicks have been known to work.

4 Likes

Ace Hardware , Lowe’s and Home Depot in the USA and west coast for me . all have screws in bags of only 3 to 10 and sets of same size in 100 count,Excess Solutions i has screws here I San Jose,California in their electronics supply warehouse

2 Likes

3 Likes

I would recommend the panheads over the countersinks. Those will work but be careful not to go to far or it will split pcb

5 Likes