What’s everyone’s favorite non diy/factory built gear?

It helps if things are going wrong. Which will be likely with me, as I’ve got no experience of MIDI. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hopefully my kaossilator pro will arrive too… damn the internet, it’s so easy to find things to distract ones self. Still, at least I’ve got a proper physical interface to work Voltage Modular with. :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Favorites owned
Synth - crumar bit one
Guitar - at the moment my Chapman baritone
Bass - too many
Pedal - boss rc-30 or my Pog2
Guitar synth - GR33 and GR50 rack
FM synth - TX 81z
Moog - Etherwave plus theramin
Mono - neutron
Poly - deepmind 12
EWI - akai EWV2000 (uses cem3340)
Mixer - mackie 1402 (great size and packed)

4 Likes

<Radiating Etherwave-envy>

2 Likes

Don’t. Even Moog accept they do not make the most musical and playable theramin.
But they are so much bloody fun!!!

2 Likes

Well I have a Theremini. As far as I’m concerned that’s a lovely instrument. I really enjoy playing it in Theremin mode.

But it only has one CV out and there’s no gate output. It’s not a big deal because it also talks MIDI, but sometimes I might just want to talk directly to an analogue module. Pitch and volume CV would be really great to have.

5 Likes

Not sure of the correct module term here but couldn’t you use some adc or s&h type circuit on the cv output to get a basic gate?

2 Likes

Yes, or just monitor the USB MIDI and mangle it into gates, triggers and anything else desired.

2 Likes

Aye but this would be analogue and you could just put it on your mini’s cv line. No MIDI. I had a compressor that could generate a gate from audio. Something like that maybe? Go on. Suck the marrow out of that theremini!

2 Likes

I’ve got a Gaudi Open Theremin for experimentation. In theory, at least.

2 Likes

Now you’re talking! Just remember a theramin is either a solo instrument that can adjust voltages and gates on other modules or a hands free cv analogue controller with no real voice. Either way
they are pretty basic.
Yet it’s also a thought controlled quantizer, a motion activated vca or in my house; the big chunky wooden brick on my piano I can never find the power supply for.
Remember a simple pair of type A exponential pots would do the same job as the antennae.
Add a breath control vca to the gaudi and you have real potential.
Exponential! Ha. Sorry. Logarithmic

2 Likes

I dont have a huge catalog of physical equipment. Most of my non diy stuff is all virtual. I have owned various synths and gear over the years, but the standouts would be:

• Keystep pro
  • Korg Minilogue XD

Pretty nice overall. Used the korg volcas, nice, but really i am spoiled with software. Would still recommend to anyone for sure though.

To me, I get pretty much everything i need in software. To be something i integrate physically, it would need to be for a “good” reason. To me, that is usually having something i can patch and play separate from a puter, or just something that has a specific character. My DIY stuff falls into this category. I have reason to use my DIY stuff because I made it and there is something that feels cool about that.

Still regret selling my Korg Poly 800. That was some awesome cheese.

3 Likes

guitar - fender strat
bass - guild B-301 “1970’s”
organ - Hamond L series
fx - Roland sp-404 sampler
floor pedal - Boss DD-20 giga delay
rack mount - Electribe Repeater
those are my favorites at this point

6 Likes

dam how could I forget the Korg DW 8000

7 Likes

Well then have I got the freebie for you, my friend!
http://music.fullbucket.de/fury800.html

3 Likes

Yes, I have a DW8000, usually have the arpeggiator synced up with my TR707.

5 Likes

it’s a tie between my old yamaha KX-88 and my arp odyssey (the korg re-issue).

i love both for different reasons - the yamaha has the best graded hammer action i’ve ever felt on a keyboard that isn’t a real piano; and the arp odyssey just plays these gorgeous leads through a good filter and some delay…

3 Likes

My favorite changes daily, but usually it’s my MS-10 despite (or because of?) its many quirks. Closely followed by the XD.

6 Likes

My favourite bit of kit overall has to be my akai S3000XL sampler, even though it’d not really considered one of the special ones. Love the workflow and still think it has a great sound. I should love my MPC2000XL the most, but I’d say my relationship without that is more like a difficult child. I love it, but it’s regular MIDI tantrums have me on edge.

Need to get myself a proper synth tbh, never had a decent keybed synth. Had a few rackmounts which had great sound but never won me over

2 Likes

funny I have a 707 to , never thought to use it that way I will have to give it a try when I git stuff hooked back up .

2 Likes