What Else Do I Need in Order to Use Sam's Modules?

Since modular is so new to me I could really use some help/insight here as to what else I need in order to actually use these modules of Sam’s I am building.

Right now I have:

• 2 - VCO’s
  • 1 - Performance Filter
  • 1 - LFO
  • 1 - Mini ADSR
  • 1 - Quantizer (not Sam’s obviously)
  • 1 - Frequency Central power bus

I mainly use my computer for my music (yes, I hear the moans from people!) and work off of Cubase Pro. The goal is to be able to sync this modular system with my projects in Cubase.

What else will I need in order to make this happen? As of now I know that I need the following:

• Beatstep Pro or something else similar with CV (I only have MIDI controllers and a Roland JP8000 for Hardware.)
  • MIDI/CV interface (I’m waiting for Sam’s to be released)
  • VCA (waiting for Sam’s to be released)

What else? Do I need a module to condition the audio output? I read that it runs hot?
A Euro sized or Kosmo sized mixer might be good?
Don’t say a case because yes, I know, I can’t build it until my local acrylic shop that I use opens up again.

Anyone?

2 Likes

An audio interface to send your audio to a computer, and if you like that same interface can output midi. I use my behringer uphoria to send midi to my keystep and have the keystep output CV.

2 Likes

vcas are pretty important so if you’re waiting, I’d check out @ChristianBloch ‘s build of a triple “painfully simple vca”s elsewhere on the forum today. Also more envelope generators will be useful if you have more oscillators and filters to control. An alternative to using an audio interface like @Caustic mentions (one that I use only about a third of the time) is to record directly into a microrecorder like the Zoom line and bring it into the DAW for mastering, but if you’re multitracking this won’t be really useful. One more thing to make will be some attenuators or attenuverters to make sure your signal to whatever you record to isn’t too hot.

4 Likes

Have a look at the poly polyend 2, thats what I was thinking of getting.

1 Like

I’m lusting over the new Polyend Tracker at the moment. I rembember using Fast Tracker II when I was a kid and it brings back happy memories.

2 Likes

I’m guessing you were watching Loopop this week @JonGreen! “It’s like making music in a spreadsheet” says Ziv.

1 Like

I have indeed. I took one look and went ‘Thats my dream sequencer, right there on the youtubes’

Assuming my company doesn’t lay us all off, I know what I am getting when it actually comes out

1 Like

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 which has MIDI I/O, digital I/O, and 4 audio I/O or 2 stereo I/O.
https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-18i8

2 Likes

Thanks. This info is very helpful! I didn’t know what it was called that essentially normalized the levels. I’ll have a look at what attenuators/attenuverters do. Is there one that I could build that someone could recommend? Modular Addict is still shipping so if there’s something on their site I’ll grab it. I’m hoping that Sam can release the BOM for the MIDI/CV module he’s finished sooner than later so that I could try and get one last Tayda order in just in case they close.

I am assuming since the signals run hot that a preamp isn’t needed?

EDIT: This seems like it would be helpful for me to be able to control my JP8000, yes? I don’t know what Sam’s module will be able to do capability speaking.

https://modularaddict.com/module-type/utilities/befaco-vcmc-kit

For attenuation, you could build Sam’s Super Simple Mixer. You’re really just looking to dampen the signal a bit. Be aware that the stripboard and schematic are different, with the stripboard being the simpler version.

That Befaco module looks pretty sweet.

3 Likes

As usual @ChristianBloch is right. You could also with minimal schematic-reading skills put together a few of the original “Basic circuits” from the original Doepfer DIY page if you have a couple jacks, op-amps and potentiometers sitting around.

2 Likes

I have a ton of extra parts. I stocked up on things just before all of this chaos started happening. I just don’t know how to build anything from a schematic yet. :frowning: I think KiCad automatically creates a PCB layout based on the schematic you draw up in the program? I’ve thought about just copying the schematic for some simple circuits into KiCad and seeing if it will create the PCB layout for me. If so then I would print and etch a couple of PCB’s so I could use some of these modules sooner vs later.

I’ll check out the Doepfer page. Thanks for the link!

2 Likes

It’s unfortunately not quite that automatic. Once you have the schematic, it will sort of give you a lump of components that are showing you how they need to be connected.

3 Likes

:sob:
Nothing can ever be easy… sigh

3 Likes

Actually, it might make more sense to start with Fritzing. It lets you see breadboard, schematic and PCB layouts For the same project in different tabs. It still only creates rats nests from the breadboard to the other two layouts and if you make changes in schematic or PCB it tends to cause drastic and strange placements in the breadboard view but it might get you going! Also, it’s donationware so you don’t technically have to pay for it but you can.

2 Likes

How do you download Fritzing without “donating”? On their site I see only a “pay and download” button. The source code’s on Github but I don’t see compiled versions.

1 Like

I think theres a beta Version you can download for free

1 Like

On GitHub it is under releases: https://github.com/fritzing/fritzing-app/releases

3 Likes

Downloaded but couldn’t figure out how to get it working (on Linux Mint), then it occurred to me to check Software Manager and there is indeed a version there. Downloaded that and it runs.

3 Likes

Sounds like you’re set, but I believe you can put $0.00 in the “donation amount” box. I know I did pay for my latest copy, but I thought that was out of the kindness of my own heart.

1 Like