Inputs/Outputs on modules

As I get close to finishing the modules, I kinda realise I don’t have a clue howI am going to patch them…

I can work out the 1222 VCO as it has CV-in obviously (why two? is it just a pass through) and what appears to b e 3 pairs of outputs…

On the 1145 LFO though,
Two CV’s are these both input? if so why two? or is one in and one out?
Sync is that just any external clocking source (5v Square?)

• & - (are these just 12vPP with one out of phase?)

1113 Perfilter— Not a clue on this one LOL…

1183 Quad VCA and 1181 Dual, I understand … IN is the wave with CV used to control the amplitued.

1. Out +/- … But whats the one between the IN and the three outs??

I think what would be good is for a BEGINNERS patching guide.

Sure it will all become clear soon enough, perhaps the LFO is the main one I don’t yet understand…

Rob

3 Likes

1222: CV and 1v/oct is frequency control (CV is attenuated, 1v/oct isn’t). PWM is CV for pulse duty cycle. SYNC is a bit complicated; negative and positive edges reset the oscillator in various ways. FM is linear CV for frequency modulation.

The three outputs are various waveforms (square/pulse, sawtooth/ramp, and triangle).

Would have to go look at the panels/schematics for the others. Maybe later, if nobody beats me to it :slight_smile:

1 Like

you can go watching this thread to have some infos about patching

@fredrik

Ahh I had missed the PWM/SYNC/FM . Can you explain the difference between the 1Vpo and the other CV? Little confused.

Cheers

Rob

1 Like

CV goes through a knob, so you can manually tweak its impact. 1v/oct is always 1v/oct (when properly tuned, at least).

The frequency CVs are added to each other, and to the voltages from the tuning knobs and the octave selector. You need a combined 7 V or so get an audible tone, see here.

1 Like

@Dud

Hmm, it’s like a lot of things where if you know what they are doing it’s obvious. But that JunkieXL one he starts plugging things in but you don’t even see what’s going to what. Bit the same with all the other videos… and you have long cables that go out of sight so your not sure what is actulay plugged into what.

The performance filter is a little more clear now though. although I don’t know what the jack above the OUT JACK is for as yet.

Cheers

Rob

1 Like

Ahh that makes sense now… I probably read all this 4 months ago when I bought them!!

Cheers.

haven’t you already watched all the videos?
some are explanatory , even if maybe you don’t understand everything you will understand little pieces little by little …

for the filter exemple

VCO out to input of filter and output of filter go to your systhem to ear the sound

another exemple (the base of synthesis)

a VCO out go to the input of a filter , the out put of the filter go to input of VCA, the output of your VCA go to your systhem to ear sound
with that use for exemple an LFO out to control the CV of the Filter
or to control an envelope (ARSD) so LFO out in the input of ADSR, the output of ADSR in the CV of your VCA or to the CV of filter

you can also go in a Mixer before going to your sound systhem

1 Like

Are we saying that the +/- out of the LFO provides the CV for the filter? ( and looking at the schematic on the LFO the two CV’s are for Frequency and Level. )

I think my worry is pluggin in something incorrectly and frying something.

Cheers

Rob

1 Like

if you have the VCLFO (VC for Voltage Control = CV), it has also some CV in (for with another LFO for exemple modulate this one) but yes the out (+and-) are to modulate another thing (the CV in of the VCF for exemple)

and there is very little chance of burning something just by plugging something wrong into a modular :wink:

1 Like

It sounds like it might be a good idea to spend some time in VCV Rack before you start going to town on your hardware to get an idea of what these different signals are for.

A really good introduction series was just posted to youtube today, and it goes through everything that you just asked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xnXgzMLCos&list=PLsSF5UzNnurIuh-y34wilF2yVy_9bmntX

7 Likes

I understand most of the principals… I think mainly its just where there is some ambiguity of the funtion of a JACK and if it’s IN or OUT and if signal A is correct for B.

Will take a look at that last video. I also have Ray Wilsons book to thumb through.

Cheers

2 Likes

Well, a properly designed one, anyway.

With DIY designs, it’s a little less certain…

2 Likes

IN it’s an enter and OUT iit’s an exit, i don’t understand what is A and B ?

A nice convention sometimes used by Eurorack designers is to distinguish outputs from inputs by putting dark boxes around the former:

Other than that, or if the label says “CV in” or something, you kind of just have to read the instructions.

There are mainly four kinds of signals: Audio, CV, gates, and triggers, and plugging one of them into a module where another one is expected is likely not to work (although, yes, likely not to fry anything either). Then again not always: mixers, for instance, can often be used to mix either audio or CV.

2 Likes

yes but for the instructions, there isn’t really any since he only talks about Sam’s DIY module
but it’s always good to know

if you understand the french (or use the translation) this vid is really simple to understand and very pedagogic

• how to creat a simple synthesis voice
  • and what is Trigger / Gate / Audio and CV in a modular synth :

maybe look and look the Sam vid there’s also a demo of each module he make

Indeed, I have watched a number of the vids to try and catch what plugs to where in general. But without any Colour convention as in Euro or and “instructions” a novice like me is piecing it together.

unfortunatly dyslexia meant I stoped doing french lessons right at the start of secondary school…

It’s one of those things, when you know it, it seems too simple. I guess when I actualy get up andrunning, and experiment things will be more clear.

Thanks for all the input… As I get to understand the modules I may start to pull togehter some MANUALS that will aid others in my situation.

Cheers

3 Likes

For sure! You’ll pick it up in no time; don’t get discouraged. With Sam’s modules so far, I can’t think of anything on the front panels that you can plug in so incorrectly that it will fry something.

3 Likes

@twinturbo No shame in not knowing how to work something that basically looks like you are landing a goddamn plane. I’m sure a lot of us are used to these conventions so it’s easier to get what goes where.

How familiar are you with non modular subtractive synthesis? We can go over some basics if you are unfamiliar with the flow of that.

5 Likes

do not worry ! maybe try a little patch first (with 2 cables)

OUT of a VCO (Triangle form for exemple) it’s an audio signal

to the IN in a filter (VCF)

and OUT of this filter to your system

you can now change the frequence of the filter to modulate your sound with the button Frequence of the filter

say me if it’s ok with that :wink:

1 Like