Some questions about powering modules, and sequencing

Hi! first time posting here.
I’m trying to make a modular synth in the KOSMO format. I have almost everything needed for the simple VCO, VCF and EG(from stripboard layouts). I plan on making these modules and then adding to the synth with his new modules.

I am new to electronics and stuff, so I have a couple of questions.
I have the FC microbus and I can’t figure out how I must power the modules. As I understand I need to get the 4 way terminal headears, bur I’m not sure. Can somenone please explain to a newbie how to connect the modules to power?

Also I have questions about sequencing the synth, I was thinking of the beatstep pro or the keystep. Do I have to build the sequencer Sam has a video about? In his envelope generator video he had a simple setup with the drumbrute impact i want something similar. Can I sequence the synth with only the sequencer or do i need a clock input?

thanks

2 Likes

Hey, welcome!
Check out this thread about the microbus:

What i do is i get connect em up with IDC socket connectors and ribbon cables. Links in there show you where you can buy em. The microbus has 2x8 (16pin) connections, but kosmo modules and most eurorack uses only the 10 pins.

What i do:
I put this on the microbus:

I put this on the modules:

Grab some of these:

And these:

And several feet of 10 conductor ribbon cables:

Then, you make a ribbon cable with one end is 16 pin, and the other is 10 pin. making sure the orientation matches what you expect to plug into. here is a reference for the pins:

Basically, just make sure you know where the +12v and -12v are going to be.

You can make your own sequencer, you can buy a beatstep, keystep, or keystep pro, all those will work for you. I recommend the beatstep or keystep pro. The OG Keystep isnt a bad option either. All those have an internal clock so you good.

3 Likes

If you’d rather not build power cables you can buy them ready made too:

https://modularaddict.com/parts/cables/eurorack-power-cables-1613
3 Likes

Thanks man this really helps!

2 Likes

do they have 16 to 10 varieties?

3 Likes

For simple sequencing you can start of with a strip board “baby 8” , if you double up the POTS and have 2 CV, you can send one to the VCO and one to a VCA so that you can control the Frequency and Amplitude of each step…

For me that’s going to be my route, although I keep deviating…

If you can, build everything with IC sockets. plug in the power without the IC’s and check the sockets have the right power against the chip data sheet…

Good luck

Rob

5 Likes

Very much this. Socket all of your Integrated Chips. You wont regret it.

3 Likes

I will already have the sockets

4 Likes

Yes, in fact that appears to be all SynthCube has. Modular Addict has 16 to 10 and 16 to 16.

3 Likes

And in fact they both seem to be out of stock on a lot of lengths, so maybe I do need to order some cable making supplies next Tayda order.

1 Like

With a vice, making them is really pretty easy and reliable.

4 Likes

mpja.com usually has 16-16 ribbons and box headers, but they’re usually in the longer ranges.

That said, get more than you need. I’ve crunched many out of zeal.

1 Like

Is there a limit to how many outs/pots you could trigger on the same step? I have a maybe stupid idea to do this with 4 outs on each step, so I could control a kick, snare, hi-hat, and note all triggered from the same sequencer. Is this feasible?

1 Like

Im thinking if you go nuts you might be limited by current, but i dont think there would be a problem with this if you dont add too many. I would wait for another to confirm. I have never built this sequencer.

This is my just-so-crazy-it-might-work idea for each step…

1 Like

A Baby 8 normally puts out control voltages, usually to control oscillators. You can make a sequencer that puts out triggers or gates to control drums, but that’s a somewhat different circuit. (Pretty much it involves using switches in place of pots.)

1 Like

i have made some Baby 8 and 16 but never with several outings per stage but maybe this sort of schem can be help you

3 Likes

So yeah

The standard Sequencer Is CV out, not right for triggering a Drum. But in essence you can probably feed a small number of CV out without a problem or use a driver circuit like DUD shows.

Your probably realy after the GATE output that is used to signal the start of each note to the Envelope Generator. This could be used to trigger your drums.

Rob

1 Like

Last night I realized having all those outs isn’t so useful as I had briefly imagined.