What do you guys think of this fuzz pedal schematic?

So, I watched the Make a Fuzz Pedal Effect for Under 5 Dolars/Pounds video and made the effect, although I used some different parts. It sounded freaking great! Lookmumnocmoputer truly puts a lot of awesome shit out.
Anyway, I thought I’d like to make a version with a little more tonal control, so I added a volume knob before the Class-A-amp thingy and a couple different capacitors on the output. The theory is if you have any one of those capacitors on, you can choose how much low-end you want. If you have none of them on, you can use the pedal as a kill switch. If you mix and match, you might be able to make some cool tones.
Anyway, can you guys check over this schematic to see if it makes any sense?
Thanks!!!distortion

3 Likes

Makes some sense to me but if you could maybe include a sound sample, that would be very illustrative of the capabilities of this fuzz-traption.

One remark though, given that the circuit probably will be connected to an amp, switching from capacitor might produce an audible (and maybe loud) click. Is that what is happening?

I have yet to try it out. I was gonna try to see if it made sense before I built it. It is possible that there would be a lot of clicking for the footswitch (not shown) AND capacitor switching. If I have the 2nd 100k pot turned so the output is silent, wouldn’t that remove the clicking? Or is it something more fundamental about how that affects the rest of the circuit that would cause the noise? Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

I’m not certain that it will click, just try it on a bread board and you’ll find out. Shorting the output e.g. by setting the potentiometer to 0 will prevent any click from being send to the amplifier / next circuit. But maybe there is no big click at all. Sam would say: “Don’t be afraid to try it”.

1 Like

when I did this fuzz I added a DPDT switch for a true bypass and I have no click, try it

a little demo with a toy ( the volume pot is not at max)

4 Likes

Given that there’s no biasing circuit, that’s probably more “class C” than “class A” :slight_smile: (*), especially without the diode. Did you remove that on purpose?

(also, why a 2N4401 instead of 2N3904 or some other standard small-signal transistor?)

*) i.e. the transistor will spend most of its time turned off, only turning on when the input voltage climbs over the base-emitter threshold which can only happen during the positive half-period.

I used a 2n4401 because it was what I had lying around.

1 Like

dude, that sounds great!!

1 Like